Should I demand a new roof...?

Page 2 of 2

First how about a little MORE info....What brand are the shingles? Are they nailed or stapled? What type of sheathing is under the shingles?Is it 1/2 inch or 5/8 ? How are they coming off? Are they tearing or pulling the fastener out as well??
"Red" wrote

New to you or a new built house and you are first owner? BIG difference.

You can try, but the difference is it a new to 'you' house or literally a new one?
No one addressed if this was just 'new to you' (AKA 'new house') but 15 or more years in age where a roof job was apparently done to re-shingle it. The roofer is not liable if you have structural issues in a case like that (such as plywood going bad).
Thanks for all your responces. I was out of town working today. Just got home. Home is new - built 2004. I am first owner. On Saturday I have a builder who is going to inspect the roof. I hope he can distinguish if the roof was installed incorrectly OR the shingles are defective.
The shingle are made by EMCO. Dakota brand. 25yr warranty. 70MPH wind warranty.
Red wrote:

You can determine yourself whether the shingles were installed properly, but I'm not saying that you should not have a pro look at it. Builder? Roofer? Here is a link to BP/Emco's instructions for one version of the Dakota shingle. http://www.bpcan.com/upload/products/Publications/res/apps/AI_-_Complete_document_ (2008_06_25).pdf
Darn instructions are very educational. All kinds of info about slope, number and type of nails, wind ratings, etc, etc. There are apparently "east" and "west" versions of Dakota shingles. I didn't delve into the differences. Just picking up the shingles that have come off will tell you a lot. "A dozen or more loose shingles flapping up and down"? If the shingles were deteriorating, you should see cracking or curling, probably. IF the shingles actually deteriorated, you should be able to see it. Inadequate ventilation can factor in to shingle failure. Don't let them blow smoke at ya'. I believe I saw mention of the company having a certification program for roofers - if they do, it would not be a bad idea to try to have a certified installer look at it.
The builder had problems with other homes? Sub hired some really bad day laborers and didn't supervise? Good luck! Nothing like a bad roof as a learning tool :o)

least tell you it needed replacing and you refused) he is liable for faulty workmanship. A professional roofer knows what will stand up and what won't. A crook doesn't care.

Thats a bit area dependant. You seem to be in Ontario? Down here a reposonsible roofer will take care of that too, but isnt liable.