should i correct fence post spacing error?

Page 2 of 2
On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 09:00:56 -0800, "Roger Shoaf"

Normally you won't see 2x4s as rafters unless in small enclosures. As you pointed out, your 2x4s may not fail for strength by code but may or may not meet the code for deflection. Just for others benefit, usually 2 criteria are involved in designing a structure.... strength and deflection. They are independent of each other and specified by code.
I too own other houses but haven't noted any roof problems when I owner financed them to others. None of them had 2x4's as rafters. Now if it happens it's their worry <grin>.
very

issue.
It might not be a *big* issue, but taking a little time now to cut a couple of angles will be worth your time.
Good luck,
--
Roger Shoaf
Roger Shoaf wrote:

Or, more likely, his heirs' time... :)

It would only take a couple of minutes per post to do. I suppose that if those few minutes of time were that precious then you could omit the bevels, but I like doing the job right. I have some rental property that every corner that could be cut was cut and fixing things there always is a surprise taking more time than it should, so I tend not to cut corners, especially if doing it right only takes a short amount of time more.
--

Roger Shoaf

Roger Shoaf wrote:

Chill, Rog...see that smiley? :)
But, depends on what is your perception of "right" to a certain degree at least...in a really arid climate the amount of rainfall is so slight the difference in lifetime over a slanted post top vis a vis a flat will be indiscernible. Now, if it were an aesthetics question or in a damp locale, I'd never have mentioned it...
But, it was, after all, only a jest, remember... :)

No offence taken.
--

Roger Shoaf

sweet...lots of great replies to read through...thanks everyone!