Should I believe the Comcast repairman?

Page 2 of 2
Do a google search on free to air satellite receivers and cancel comcast.

buy some sticky self-baited rat traps, install them inside your basement and check them if you notice dead animal smell. don't worry about the cable.
tenplay wrote:

Yes. When I moved into my house I just asked the the Comcast guy verify that a signal was coming through to the modem and I'd install the rest because when I was at my apartment, the guy didn't know squat.

You obviously have not been feeding the rat enough. Full rats don't chew wires.
Bob
tenplay wrote:
After pressing the on/off switch, it worked fine. Could he have

Yes.
If the varmint ate the cable somewhere inside the house, I'd figure out how it got in and seal that hole. If it's outside, there's probably not much you can do.
Bonnie
bonniejean wrote:

Actually the cable was eaten away right where it enters the bottom crawl space. My wife said that the repairman advised her to coat the cable with a mixture of steel wool and foam spray. Anyone heard of it? I wonder if there is a product already available or if you have to make it yourself. I do plan on sealing off the crawl space with wire mesh though.

Rodents absolutely HATE steel wool.
Commodore Joe Redcloud
Steel wool stops mice from getting through holes. Don't use steel wool soap pads. Mice and rats can chew through spray foam. Put some traps that are made for outdoors near where they chewed. Probably wasn't a squirrel if it was at ground level. They usually only try to get into a house up high.

I had squirrels eating holes through the wood facia boards of the house. A contractor told me to fill the holes with patching concrete, like Rock-tite, with steel wool mixed in it.
Squirrels ate right through it, no problem. I can't imagine squirrels or rats being stopped by foam and steel wool if they wanted to get through it.
On heavy-duty poly trash barrels, I spray on "Ropel" spray, a vicious mix of tobacco juice and god knows what else. Seems to work. The critters were eating big holes in the tops. Can't see why it wouldn't work on the cable. Just use it outside, not inside.
Be really really really careful not to get it on yourself, your dogs and cats, your kids. Watch out for backspray. This stuff is unbelievably bitter, stings your eyes, makes your skin hot. Ask me how I know.

Peter Cottontail will do this too. Not only has my cable been chewed through by them, but my ABS brake cables on my car too. We have a couple of dogs to keep that problem at bay now. Our place is infested with them, especially since all the neighbors cats arent' around anymore.