Should be a simple question... Lefty loosey,

righty tighty.
Ok, back to the basics here! I am trying to loosen the nut on one of the pipes on my oven to have the safety valve repaired. L BUT how do you know which side is lefty? Loosey is different when I approach it from different angles, the counter-clockwise direction changes.
Basically, I have a valve where the pipe fits into the valve, and then is tightened with a nut. It is quite old, and neither way loosens it smoothly. I don't want to labor for a while only to find that I have tightened it even further, nor do I want to accidentally over tighten and break anything.
Any tips?
Thanks,
Ryan
On 17 Nov 2003, The Chairman wrote:

As you view it from above or behind. Imagine the pipe not being there, you want ot be looking into the fitting, not backwards into it from the mating piece.
If it's gas, I thought the fittings are righty loosey, lefty tighty.