Should a pool light bulb be touching water only halfway (half in, half out)?

Page 2 of 2

The manufactures all say if you open the light, you replace the gasket. They are a one shot deal.

I've never messed with one myself. Typically I get a call that the pool lights aren't working, I find and disconnect the offending fixture from it's deck box and have the customer have their pool maintenance company fix or replace it, then I reconnect it. Whenever it was "fixed", they leak, so I've just been telling customers to have them replaced, which ultimately probably saves time and money.

If they think "fixing" means tightening up the ring, it isn't fixed. Replacing the gasket should fix it if the ring and shell were not damaged by other attempts to fix it.

I agree, my guess is that there are a number of manufacturers and models, and these pool maintenance companies would rather not take the time to locate the replacement gasket, so they try to reuse the old ones, and maybe add a little silicone sealant
On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 10:37:39 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Now you tell me! :)
Yes, it was I who opened the light (to clean out the mud) the last time and the GFCI tripping started right after that.
Mea culpa!
On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 09:47:54 -0400, RBM wrote:

That makes sense. The air in the "niche" probably couldn't escape so that prevented more water from coming in.
There is no "pool maintenance" company. I bought the house as a foreclosure and the pool was green with scum in it. I cleaned it all out but never owned a pool before so I had to figure out how the pipes went.
I removed all the lights when I cleaned the pool to clean out the scum, and then after that, they would blow the GFCI after five minutes. So, I think it was my fault all along; I shouldn't have re-used the gaskets.
There's sooooo much to learn. I don't even know what all the bottom fixtures are. I googled and googled and learned what I could. Is there any way to get the old diagrams of the pool?

Just find a neighbor with a pool. In a few minutes you'll understand it all. You probably shouldn't have pulled everything apart to clean it though. I bought my house about 14 years ago, from an estate, and the pool looked like green jello. The trick is to just dump $100 worth of chemicals in it, then filter the hell out of it. You're in for a real treat with your new money pit. All it takes is a few hundred dollars each year, provided you do all the work yourself, and then every three or four years, you have to go for a few thousand dollars, then eventually, just when you get good at it, your pool looks like mine does now, and then you go for your lungs. http://picasaweb.google.com/109118990707724158516/Pool?feat=directlink