Shorten AC power cord???????

I have a fairly new window AC with a GFIC shielded power cord made by Tower Mfg. part number 30386-0-LCDI.. I would really like to shorten the cord as it dangles where I don't want it to dangle. The connection at the control unit is a molded plug and it can not be shortened there.

The plug end is two piece molded and secured with screws, one of which is a security screw or I would have taken it apart already -:) for a look.

Anyone have any experience with these? Can they be shortened? Are the wires connected to the blades with a crimp or a solder? I can do either if I have to. I just hate to spend the time to find or make the security screwdriver to find out that it won't work.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Why not just bundle it up neatly with a cable tie so it doesn't dangle and not tear apart something that they obviously are trying pretty hard to keep you out of? Besides, you might move the AC one day and then you may find the cord is 2" too short!

Reply to
Mike S.

Of course it can. Never mind trying to take apart the existing plug, just cut the cord to the length you want and put a new plug on the end. (Make sure you can find the correct plug before you cut the cord.)

Or you could just wrap the cord up, too.

Reply to
Doug Miller

AC cords are pretty thick, and there may not be room in the case, but you still may be able to stuff some of the cord back into the AC, especially if you take off the cover and can see where to put it. Then when you need it, you can just pull the cord out again.

This certainly works with a lot of things that use lamp cord.

Reply to
mm

Disregard any advice to cut the cord in the middle & crimp. Even with heat shrink tubing that would look less than ideal.

The easy & best solution is to replace the plug, cutting the wire down to the length you need. Be sure to measure carefully & allow some wire to be stripped & put into the plug. The wire may need to make a

180 degree turn @ the outlet to come in the bottom of the plug as well. Figure for that if needed. Personally I'd calculate what I need and then leave another 6-10" for wiggle room. You can make it shorter in a jiffy, making it longer is a project.

For simplicities sake, I'd just cut the plug & about 6" of wire off & take that to the electrical supply store. With the wire & old plug in hand choosing the right replacement would be a chinch, and then it's as simple as slapping the new plug onto the end of the wire. The end product will look as good as factory without splicing, soldering or shrink wrapping.

Reply to
DanKMTB

mm wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Best idea so far on this!

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I think so also. My first thought was to see if a shorter cord was available. Pulling the cord back into the unit makes sense.

-- Oren

Oren

quoted text -

Tucking the cord back into the appliance makes sense if it will work in this application. I assume if it were that simple the OP would have just done that as opposed to posting here. If that will work, more power to the OP. If not, putting a new plug on is a very simple, neat & clean way to accomplish the goal of the OP.

Reply to
DanKMTB

quoted text -

It won't work. It's a molded strain relief.

Rob

I assume if it were that simple the OP would

Reply to
trainfan1

It won't work. It's a molded strain relief.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

It won't work. It's a molded strain relief.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

It won't work. It's a molded strain relief.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Harbor Freight has a complete set of security bits in all sizes & configurations you'll most likely encounter. The whole kit is $2.50. At that price I bought two.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I "assumed" that if the OP thought of it in the first place, he wouldn't post here wanting ideas outside the box.

It was a good idea posted.

-- Oren

Hofstadter's Law - It [a task] always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

Reply to
Oren

The cord is not a GFI ,it is a LCDI as indicated by the part number.(LCDI) is a Leakage Current Detector Interrupter. Do not cut it out. It is there to prevent fire and to meet NEC and UL requirements effective August 2004.

Reply to
kool

trainfan1 wrote in news:no2dnRjntu3rg9fbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@usadatanet.net:

I suspect I could figure a way around that.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

So tuck the strain-relief in with the excess cord.

Jeeze!

Reply to
HeyBub

That would defeat the purpose & pose a safety issue.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Don't do it. Get some heavy plastic cable ties and tie the bundle up.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Reply to
Toller