Short measure at propane tank exchange stations

Page 3 of 3
George wrote:

That doesn't answer my question. Can you live on $17/hr in CA?
As for the stratified economy, that varies greatly by state, with CA being one of the very stratified states with low end jobs, high end jobs, and little in between.
This stratification is indeed a huge issue, and one that the left wing simply doesn't understand. Obummer's SOTU address showed that he didn't understand this fundamental problem either. The left wing thinks that somehow pressuring everyone into college will somehow magically allow them to get one of those high end jobs, and if they can't make it then all they are good for is some low end janitorial job. This is of course a recipe for disaster and is very much part of the growing gap between rich and poor, a gap that ultimately leads to societal collapse if it isn't rectified.
No country can put all it's eggs in the "knowledge economy" basket, think that it can just export all it's "foundational" jobs to third world countries and think that those third world countries won't catch up and compete in the "knowledge economy". Every country needs to maintain a diverse economy with solid midrange jobs and manufacturing capability. Imported goods need to be strictly novelty or luxury items as they were in the past, not critical staple items.

Thats what happens when shopping on price not value at the big box became the thing to do.
On 01/26/2011 09:37 AM, George wrote:

I believe thats a Federal law so they don't get to full and have problems. Everywhere I get tanks filled it's the same way.
--
Lets stop giving money to foreign countries and reduce our National
Debt that way instead of cutting benefits for our own citizens.

I dunno. How many people can't work a pocket calculator, read effectively, do simple math in their head, or even make change for a twenty? WITH a cash register.
Steve

Not me. I've known about this for years.
A so-called "20lb" propane tank can only "safely" hold 17 or 18lbs of liquid propane. Calling it a "20lb" tank was sleazy marketing from the get-go. Properly filled tanks have NEVER had 20lbs of propane in them.
There's a lot to be said for downsizing the amount of product you get, rather than raising the price... As a general rule, your average mook on the street is a moron.
History has shown that keeping the package size the same and raising the price causes people to look for cheaper alternatives.
?

The weight of that empty so-call 20 pound tank is . . . . . . . . . . . Wow, who'da thunk it.
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Appartently, 20lb is how much a tank will hold if FULL of liquid propane. It can't be filled full, since some space is required for it to vaporize. Blue Rhino puts 15lb in a tank, but it can hold more.
I get propane at a store that uses a company called "Heritage Propane" that puts in 17lb (for about the same price).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us