Short Flexible Connector for Faucet

I am replacing a kitchen faucet and I notice that to replace the pre-plumbed copper tubing from the center of the old faucet to the connections above the shutoff valves is only 7"long. So, I notice that the smallest length of braided Stainless faucet connector that I can buy is 12". To cover the 7" distance between the new faucet's connectors and the copper pipe with a 12" flexible connector will require "coiling or spiralling" the flexible connector (squeezing the

12" length into 7"). Is this acceptable? Does anyone make the connectors in 8" sections? I don't believe I can or should reuse the copper connectors that came pre-connected to the center of the old faucet (can't even see how they are connected to the old faucet).
Reply to
gkamieneski

Think they do come in 9" However, it can be helpful to have a little slack. Coiling is not a problem, just try to put the coils where you want them, and make sure they are gentle coils, not kinks. Make sure you get them with the right size nuts to fit your shut-offs and new faucet- check against the old ones(and new faucet), which, you're right, you should not re-use. Use pipe dope or teflon tape (going a few times around male threads in same direction you are going to turn nuts) which you tighten snug but not too forcefully, to seal connection. You may want to use second wrench (or pliers with rag over teeth so as not to damage valve) to hold valve, so you don't put excessive torquing force on it, but again, don't use a lot of force.

Reply to
Sev

It's acceptable. I don't know, but you could custom-make them. Tom

Reply to
tom

Thanks, I think I will see if a longer flexible connector works better in a bigger loop. Using the 12" to take up the 7" space requires coiling that you could easily describe as kinked. I found Fluidmaster makes the 9" but none of the home supply stores seem to carry them.

Reply to
gkamieneski

Get the braided flex long enough to make the connections with a

360 degree loop in the middle. Get it long enough so that the loop is not to tight.
Reply to
klaatu

Yes, but it's part of one of the skills you learn with time. This particular thing will be involved in various places, not just plumbing. If you do kink one, I'm not sure if it can be relied on not to kink again, even if you attach it better the next time. But arent' they cheap? Buy 4 and return what you don't use.

Reply to
mm