Shopsmith Motor

Thanks to all who have helped me out. Well I've dropped the motor pan and pulled the switch which is all one piece. I've put the diagram from the Shopsmith parts catalog at the following location (for one of you good guys to look at please)

I have 110V at line in L1 & L2 - No reading at the other L1 & L2 with switch in forward or reverse position. Where can I take a measurement to see what part is the problem if it is something other than the motor. Thanks again. Bob Ford

Reply to
RFord14999

Assuming that you SHOULD have voltage at the other L1 & L2 with the switch in either position, the fact that you don't would indicate the switch has failed. However it looks awfully complicated just to reverse the direction, but then Shopsmith sometimes does things the difficult way.

If someone else could do the same test, you'd know for sure. Also, you could try calling the factory and speaking with someone as they should be able to tell you if some voltage should be present at the L1 & L2 terminals going to the motor when the switch is in either position. Something tells me that switch could be expensive, so you'd be wise to make sure it's really dead.

Depending on how it's constructed, you could attempt to take it apart if you're good at that kind of tinkering. Just make sure you label ALL the wires where they attach to the switch so you can install the new one.

Reply to
Bob M.

Thanks for the good ideas, Bob. I notice a couple of Shopsmith forums that I can try. If I weren't electrically challenged maybe it would help. Bob

Reply to
RFord14999

I'd expect some sort of voltage readings on the red, white and/or blue wires when the switch is in the "on" position. It is not clear from the diagram as it seems to show terminal locations but does not show which terminals are connected when you flip the switch. I think this motor can be rewired to operate on 220V or 110V, which is different from my Mark V. My simpler 110V only motor has a simple toggle switch on one side of the line. It might be safer to unplug the cord and check for continuity between the various terminals while you are trying to figure this out.

You may also get some better suggestions here:

of helpful Shopsmith owners...

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (RFord14999) wrote:

Reply to
Larry Kraus