Shopping for small angle grinder

Hi All,
Found this tool indispensable recently - it belonged to a friend. Now I want one too.
They come in 4" and 4-1/2" and vary in price from $20 to $100 for the DeWalt D28402.
One thing I found is that most models show 5A as current, I take it is the max current and represents either torque or HP. A couple of models like the D28402 show 10A as max current. That would imply twice of something :-)
What do you like/dislike about an angle grinder? Is the DeWalt worth the triple the price of some of the models. I do not go by the "you get, what you pay for" = this is true for some things and only to some extent, but 3x the price, makes me think.
Regards,
RichK
I bought a milwaukee to replace a sears 'industrial' model that I also liked. It works well and has the flapper trigger I like, without the propensity for firing up when you set it down.
RichK wrote:

yourname wrote:

I have a Milwuakee & a DeWalt 402 I like both of them.....actually I was a little skeptical of the Milwaukee switch arrangement. The DeWalt has a safety feature on the switch that prevent accidental activation but it takes some time to get used to it.
here's a new one on Ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/DeWalt-DW402-Heavy-Duty-4-1-2-Angle-Grinder-DW-402-NEW_W0QQitemZ6067526243QQihZ009QQcategoryZ42276QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
that you can BIN (buy it now) for way less than retail...problem soved
btw more amps = more power (generally speaking)
cheers Bob

DeWalt
the
the
the
what
3x
I have a dewalt with the paddle trigger- couple of times I've set the thing down on uneven surface and snagged the trigger in the process- instant power up. Out side of that, it works well for me. There was a long thread about a yr ago on the rec.metalworking newgroup about angle grinders. The consensus was that the harbor freight angle grinder (chicago electric- not the drillmaster) was a decent cheap grinder -when bought on the frequent sales that the place has. Pat
The more amps a motor pulls, the longer it will last. Same with vacuum cleaners. the DeWalt is worth the money.
--
Steve Barker

"RichK" < snipped-for-privacy@isp.net> wrote in message

I have a very old Makita it's not blue it's rust color I would guess at least 12 years old most likely more. The only problem, I had to take it apart and clean it the switch would stick. Also I don't know what your using it for but there great with a diamond blade for tile and stucco. I want to get a new one but I also find it is confusing, plus every Co. makes so many Models.
Take a look at the Bosch 1710. I got one and it is very nice. 7.5 amps and made in Germany [at least they were a couple a months ago]. You can get a reconditioned one for $65 with full warranty and new for about $20 more. If you don't want to spend that much many say they have good luck with the Harbor Freight Chicago Electric one that has ball bearings that is on sale for around $20 - don't get the Drill Master one. -- Steve
http://bosch.cpotools.com/grinders_and_metalworking/small_angle_grinders/1710.html http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber223

Depends on how much you're going to use it. I'd say the majority of homeowners wont use one too often. I use my 10 yr old ($60) Makita a lot cutting, trimming tile and cutting concrete and stone with the 3 pak ($ 9.99) diamond blades from HFT.
My F-I-L needed one for a few days work. Got the 19.00 one from HFT..whata piece of junk..did the job but got SO hot, I had to put a glove on to hold it.
I think its probably fair to say the $ 100 one will probably last 5X the $ 20 one.