Shopping for a snow blower, maybe.....

Page 2 of 5
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Hi, Or late in the season to use from next season. I don't even bother dragging out the unit, I can still shovel 30' long double wide drive way for a morning exercise. No pain, aches, huffing and puffing yet, LOL! Our snow is always light and powdery, easy to handle.
On Fri, 9 Jan 2015 08:55:25 -0500, "Don Phillipson"

In most cases where the weather is less severe than Ottawa, keeping the snow cleared prevents it from getting packed down and turning to ice.
My reccomendation if it's not in deep snow country is a Toro single stage - the rubber impeller/beaters scrub right down to bare concrte - they are light and easy to handle - no wheel drive but they propel themselves along nicely.110 volt start and now 4 stroke instead of 2.
That said, I bought a Yamaha Hydro a few years back. 12 volt start, track drive, hydrostatic trans, and throws snow over 40 feet. The choke is a joke - so I drilled a 1/8" hole in the air cleaner housing and I give it a light shot of ether as it is cranking (stick the lrt into the hole)
On Fri, 9 Jan 2015 06:08:57 -0800 (PST), bob_villa

Just like Chevy, Cadillac, Buick and GMC are all made by GM, the Troy Bilt, Cub Cadet, and Yard Machine are 3 totally distinct product lines. Less cross-polination than GM even.
On Friday, January 9, 2015 at 11:47:56 AM UTC-6, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Just like Chevy and GMC are a trim and nameplate change...some of MTD models may be...
On Fri, 9 Jan 2015 06:39:08 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

The Ariens Pro is a real machine. The cheap-assed thing they put their name on for Home Despot, they should be ashamed of.
I used to work for an Ariens dealet back in the sixties.

I'm only 69. Maybe things will change, but my attitude now is that _not_ shoveling will put me at _more_ risk.
I'm only dealing with 80 feet of driveway in central NJ.
I'd much rather be found dead in a pile of snow than waste away in a bed. Even with a few years of difference.
--
Dan Espen

150 feet of sidewalk and a double length double wide driveway in Central Ontario slop zone is a differnt situation!! Takes a blower with OOMPF. My Yamaha can throw snow from my driveway across the neighbour's driveway to the east into his front yard when blowing against a stiff west wind is like taking a whiz into the breeze.. The prevailing west winds make it difficult to throw the snow onto my own front yard. I usually blow his sidewalk too, which means I'm blowing over 200 feet of sidewalk. (and sometimes his driveway too, and often a few other elderly neighbours when I've got the "beast" fired up and running already anyway.. Put about 50 gallons of Shell Hitest through it last winter.
On 1/9/2015 12:57 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Nice when neighbors cooperate and help each other. A couple of neighbors and I take care of each others when needed. When the folks across the street were away for a weekend and it snowed, they came home to a clean driveway.
Neighbor in the back has a riding mower that is more than what he really needs, so for fun, he cuts my lawn too.
Per Dan Espen:

There's something to be said for that....
But last year we lost retired co-worker. There was heavy rain one night and he went out to dig a drainage trench to divert water that was getting in to his very old house.
AFIK, somebody found the body the next day.
--
Pete Cresswell

This whole collective snow shoveling/blowing/plowing frying pan we suburbanites repeatedly beat over our own heads every Dec-March(or May-Sept) should raise not a few flags and ring a few bells:
SHOULD HUMANS EVEN BE LIVING in cold/snowy regions of the planet - even where such weather occupies half to one quarter of one year??
Certainly, living where mother nature repaves your driveway with a white layer of anything from fluff to the frozen variety does create an 'economy' - by spurring the design and sale of snow blowers, plows, and drivers of pickup trucks and other hefty vehicles willing to make cash on the side by strapping one on.
But is that economy worth it? Is it worth the occasional stroke or heart attack from not using powered snow removal resources where the depth might warrant it? Worth being delayed to work or calling out for a day or two altogether? Worth risking a low pitched roof collapsing under the likes of the freak 60-90" snowfall that hit Buffalo NY last fall? And of course, worth an accident on our roads or being stranded on an over- whelmed highway?
I think not. In fact, I'd wager a bet that there's enough space on Earth for the entire current population to live BETWEEN the 40th degree north & south parallels, plus an additional half billion over the next 30 years.
This would move 95% of the population out of exposure to anymore than two inches of snow, period, and temperatures below freezing.

Dead in a ditch. MUCH better than a hospital bed. If I had my choice, I'd go the way Nelson Rockefeller died, in the saddle. I'd settle for having a shovel in my hands though, considering the more common alternatives.
--
Dan Espen

net cop wrote: "- show quoted text - Dead in a ditch. MUCH better than a hospital bed. If I had my choice, I'd go the way Nelson Rockefeller died, in the saddle. I'd settle for having a shovel in my hands though, considering the more common alternatives.
--
Dan Espen "

Spoken like a True Republican! I'm proud of ya',
On 1/9/2015 3:10 PM, Dan Espen wrote:

Well, since there is no menu to choose from, I'd not want to die shoveling, especially if I'm alone, all the neighbors are at work, and I'm down on a cold driveway waiting for someone to find me. Of course, shoveling 8' of wet snow from 50' of driveway is cheaper than a cardiac stress test and you can do it at home ;o)
Per Dan Espen:

Sometimes I think I'd pay for a service:
- I go in to be IQ-tested two or three times a year.
- Nobody ever tells me if I pass or fail.
- Two failures in a row, and the contract goes out: Whatever it is, it's quick, it's relatively painless, and I never see it coming.
--
Pete Cresswell

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes:

That's wrong but please no politics! Wrong freaking group.
--
Dan Espen

Had a nastier than normal winter last year. A friend was out with his sons shovelling the driveway. 55 I think. Didn't make it back in for supper. And he was in pretty good shape - played squash and raquet ball and golf. Not overweight.
On Fri, 9 Jan 2015 11:21:25 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I'm only 3.45 north of that.

And subject them to hurricaines and tornadows instead for half the year. We are in Ontario's "Tornado Alley" (actually I'm about 12 miles or so south-east of the normal track) and we genrally see about 7 a year in central Ontario, and another 6 or 7 in the east. Total of about 80 in all of canada, compared to 1300 in the USA, The deadliest in Canada killed 28, compared to almost 700 in the central states (indiana/missouri, Illinois - 1925)
I'll take the odd blizzard and ice storm.
Jan snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote: "and subject them to hurricaines and tornadows.."
I just happen to have zero tolerance for cold - and even less for snow! I stopped liking snow at an early age, when my old man put a snow shovel in my hand. I was no more than 12. Took me 3 hours to shovel off both our front and back porches. LOL
That experience led me to wonder just why the F--- folks choose to subject themselves to such weather.
On Wednesday, January 14, 2015 at 9:08:51 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

My family was from pittsburgh:( Ib wish we were from cocoa florida, or anywhere that always warm and sunny.
I am 57 and would liketo move to my dream area while I am still young enought to enjoy it

It's either snow or roaches and fire ants ;o)