Shoplifter of the Week: Copper edition

Sometimes you just have to and that is why those programs are there not for people that keep having kid after kid that they can't support.
My wife had a terrible head injury eight years ago and had to go on disability. She still gets depressed because she hates not working. She was 52 years old when the accident happened and had never even been on unemployment at anytime in her life.
The odd thing about her situation is that she had disability insurance that paid her 80% of her salary at the time she was hurt. But the stipulations in the insurance policy was that she had to apply for SSD and when that started the insurance company subtracted that amount from her Disability Insurance payment and those insurance payments stop when she reaches retirement age. Those are things most people don't realize when they shell out money for disability insurance.
-C-
-C-

Reminds me of a joke I heard long ago.
A couple were in bed and getting ready to have sex. The husband said why don't we try something different this time. Why don't you roll over.
The wife said no way that her mother told her before she got married that you might want me to do that some day and not to do it.
The husband said Ok, but I just thought it might be time to start a family.
-C-

Ditto but $10 bags. And what amazes me is how fast I went through them...without glasses. Probably need a telescope to spot a VDB today!

Geez! You guys were rich. I did the same thing 4 rolls at a time. The teller always smiled when she saw me come in. I would buy and look then buy some more.
Once or twice I found a dime in the penny roll so I came out way ahead those days.
Like Red I can barely read the dates now.
Colbyt

Some women don't have choices. Either they are enslaved to a religion run by males, which purports to regulate their bodily functions, or they are enslaved to an abusive spouse who refuses to use contraceptives. Or they live in a society which gives them no rights at all.
HB

That's an old wives tale. You are allowed to destroy all the money you want to. It's good for our economy! What you aren't allowed to do is to make it appear to be worth more than it is. Like turning a $1 into a $100 by cutting and pasting extra 0's on it. The US statute which prohibits the mutilation of US currency only applies if you try to use it fraudulently.
And collecting money is good for our economy also, that is why the US Mint makes so many different types of coins, like the ones with the states on them. If people collect them and it stays out of circulation, it increases the value of our dollar. Same with the post office and stamp collectors.

well it costs more to make pennies than the face value, which is why they say dont destroy them....
On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 09:46:35 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

I agree with the explanation below. It is not illegal. However, it may not be profitable, either. Just because the newer pennies *cost* more than a penny to make does not mean they are *worth* more than a penny as scrap. Solid copper is easy to make into a coin so the cost to make one was only a liitle more than the cost of the copper, but I will guess the new ones cost significantly more to make than the raw materials.

snipped-for-privacy@neo.rr.com wrote in

the cost of the energy to melt down copper pennies would probably eat up their value as copper scrap. Plus you have to select out the copper from the zincs. (I noticed that a "drop test" can tell the difference by the way they sound hitting a hard surface.Coppers tend to ring,while zincs make a thunk.)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Am I wrong again? I thought that the copper content of a penny was only a very small percentage of the total material. Even if a simple way of separating the metals was availble, the cost of fuel to melt them would probably be more than the recovered copper.
Harry K

I was paid $2.10 a pound for the copper I sold. There is definitely a profit in it if you can get someone to pay you a couple of dollars or more a pound for pennies.
-C-
On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 07:48:25 -0800 (PST), Harry K

On Nov 29, 1:44pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

And did not need to be melted down to recover it. We are talking about the alloy/copper plated type.
Harry k
On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 20:53:09 -0800 (PST), Harry K

in
elements from an alloy is not a trivial exercise
On Nov 29, 9:50pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Which was my point.
Harry K

Then even with moderate circulation they must be worth more than that as collectibles. Anyone know for sure?
Colbyt
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in wrote:

No,not solid copper,but a copper alloy.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

$17 for $7.30 worth of pennies? well,that's Ebay overbidding for ya....
to get 15.2 oz of copper? today's price is about $3.75/lb.for pure copper,and recyclers will give lower prices on copper alloys.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

That was $17 for 5 pounds, or $3.40 per pound, of 95% copper.

Where I am HD and menards have guards that sign every reciept, even if they see you check out you still have to show a reciept.