shop vac recommendation?

filters. And these weren't just to keep out dust, these were to make the oxygen we needed to breathe. So you think you have problems? I had two dolts with me on this ride and if I didn't know origami, we'd have been dead by the time we landed. As it is, we were cold as ice.
On Wednesday, July 15, 2015 at 10:39:11 PM UTC-4, Mike wrote:

Last year I bought a Rigid 16 Gal with a removal blower. The motor pops off the top and becomes a hand held blower. Sweet!
The vac performs well, the filters are reasonably priced and the unit has a rack to hold all accessories. It also has hooks to store the cord neatly, something my old Craftsman didn't.
I didn't think I'd use the blower that much since I have a gas powered blower, but the rigid blower is light and powerful enough for quick cleanup jobs after mowing or to blow off the picnic table, deck, stoop, etc. Much quieter than the gas blower too.
No complaints
Mike wrote:

If you are going to use it for general vacuuming, I'd say get whatever one that has the features you want.
If you are going to get one for saw/sand dust collection, I'd say don't get one at all, get a dust collector.
On Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 9:01:42 AM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:

Or add a homemade cyclone unit to separate out the debris and keep the filter cleaner.
DAGS for youtube dust separator or try this link:
https://www.google.com/webhp?gws_rd=ssl#q=youtube+dust+separator
Many options from the simplest to some pretty elaborate set ups.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Debris was never a problem for me, the problem was dust. Specifically, sanding dust from my drum sander. Shop-Vac style pleated filters clog up almost instantly, paper bag filters work OK but they fill up in a hurry - a BIG hurry - and are on the far side of cheap.
Per DerbyDad03:

That's what I did and it works well for me.
Adds to the bulk, but I just put the whole thing on a wheeled cart and it's pretty much transparent now.
--
Pete Cresswell

Hi Mike,

I used Shop-Vac brand for years. When my last one burned out I replaced it with a Rigid WD1450 Vacuum. It's a lot quieter than my old Shop-Vac brands, though "quiet" is a relative term. They're still crazy loud. The WD1450 has good suction and has performed very well for me.
Regardless of which brand/model you buy, I highly recommend adding fine filter bags inside the shop vac. Before I started using the filter bags the pleated filters would clog up very quickly and reduce the suction. You can clean them a bit by taking them out and tapping the dust off, but they still don't work like new. Replacement filters can get expensive. The fine filter bags also make it possible to vacuum fine sawdust, drywall dust, or even cold ash from a woodstove. Without the bag fine dust like that blows right through the filter and back out the other side. I always use the filter bags and haven't changed or cleaned the pleated filter in years.
For larger machines that produce a lot of dust and chips (planers, tablesaws, bandsaws, etc.) a dust collector performs much better and has a larger capacity.
If you're able, it's nice to have both.
Good luck,
On Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 10:26:28 AM UTC-4, HerHusband wrote:

No argument, but there are other options besides "tapping". My process invo lves taking the filter outside and throwing it up as high as I can, letting it come down on a hard surface, like the street in front of my house. That really shakes a lot of dust loose. After I've done that a couple of times, I take my canister vac and vacuum between each pleat. Sometimes, with real ly fine dust, I'll scrape the bottom of the pleat with a screwdriver while vacuuming. No, it's not as good as new, but it's sure works in a pinch.
My canister is the commercial version of the Eureka Mighty Mite made by Eur eka's/Sanitaire's parent company, Electrolux:
http://evacuumstore.com/p-193-sanitaire-by-electrolux-mighty-mite-vacuum-sc 3683a.aspx?gclid=CJCihcD138YCFQsRHwod3GcJsQ
It's great for doing the cars, stairs, ceilings and other areas where an up right - even with it's hose attachments - just doesn't work as well.

On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 08:13:54 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

will really suck!!!
On 7/16/2015 12:33 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Yeah, but any time it breaks, you just pull over and stop.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

You mean when it's wet/dry/hot/cold/lazy?
--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*

Shop Vac is made in America iirc and has great customer service.
The smallest model won't accept soot filters, which are useful for cleaning oil furnaces and iirc fireplaces. Though I think it's easier to clean a fireplace by wetting the ash and sweepting it into a bag If I could get into my oil furnace, I would do that there.

By America I mean the USA.
And Shop Vac is sold without its trademark color by Pep Boys and Sears, same maker, same design, maybe different "brand". And maybe by others.
Ridgid is sold by Home Depot. Anyone else?

Years ago I had a model from Sears. The suction was good, but I did not li ke the vacuum itself and wound up giving it away. It had a large hose whic h was good for debris, but it was a very stiff plastic hose that was diffic ult to work with. Also it was a plastic tank with a very wide wheelbase wh ich made it feel bulky.
I have always liked the slim metal Shop-Vac models with a nice flexible hos e. The have two large wheels and a handle for tilting and pulling.
Right now I have a Buckethead from Home Depot. It is small and easy to car ry around. I bought a Ridgid accessory kit for car cleaning that had a nic e long flexible hose and accessories that work well with the Buckethead. On ly downside for me is that the Buckethead is top heavy, so it has a tendenc y to tip over when pulled.
John Grabowski http://www.MrElectrician.TV
On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 07:55:08 -0700 (PDT), John G

When I went shopping 10 or 15 years ago, Sears and Shop-Vac were the same except for color. Oh, maybe the exact HP was different or the exact set of included attachments, but Shop-Vac clearly made it.

"Mike" wrote in message
Is there a brand and model people like or a brand and model to stay away from?
Mike
I like the portable model with the vibrator attachments.
Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

Does it suck or blow?
--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*

What are you? Twelve?
nb
Per Tekkie®:

Windsurfers say "If it's not blowing, it sucks".
--
Pete Cresswell

On 7/15/2015 10:37 PM, Mike wrote:

I have used Shop Vac and Craftsman. For either one, primary use might be an important consideration. I use mine largely for sucking algae out of our artificial pond.....vacuuming what settles on the bottom. The shop vac was much easier to handle for a couple of reasons: the lid did not have to be latched in order to vacuum, and that made dumping water out much easier. It wasn't great big, so required frequent emptying. It was left out in the rain a number of times (too tired from vacuuming/emptying to put it away), so it finally bit the dust. The Craftsman has the benefit of having a drain port, a good idea but part of overall pissy design; the drain port is on the same side as the vacuum hose, so if I open it, it drains water at my feet. Can hook up a hose if I want to haul all that stuff around. The C. has fussy latches to take the top off; they don't release both sides easily. the wands and hose have a clip that must be depressed to release from each other and from attachments. Harder to use than the SV. Connecting a hose to the drain valve also requires purchasing a separate adapter. There is a pump available that will pump out the vac, but have not gone that way.