shop vac recommendation?

Page 1 of 2
Is there a brand and model people like or a brand and model to stay away from?
Mike
On 7/15/2015 10:37 PM, Mike wrote:

We've used both Shop Vac brand and Rigid with good results. Whatever is on sale at the time would be my choice.

Try to find the decibel rating. My Shop-Vac is too damn loud. You'll pay more for a quieter one, but it may be worth it. Google.
On 7/16/2015 12:52 AM, Vic Smith wrote:

Good point. If you can't find it, rule of thumb: Small hose loud. Larder hose quieter.

But, does it suck!?
A friend is a general contractor and was selling off a buncha old shop vacs of various brands. I bought the smallest and loudest. Why? It out-sucked all the others. Decide what you want, then buy. ;)
nb

louder. It unloads because the turbine blades "stall" and are not moving any air - therefore doing no work.
On 07/15/2015 09:37 PM, Mike wrote:

Shop vacuum replacement filter prices might be a concern.

BINGO!! We have a winner.
Yes. Buy whichever vac is still around. Or, at least a vac that can use parts of another brand that still exists.
I bought a cheapo vac a couple yrs back. That brand no longer exists. Where can I find parts? IOW, I'm faced with buying a new vac or finding parts from another brand that will fit. The vac I bought still works fine, but I'd love to get new filters. The original is becoming a tad worn. And, how much longer will that hose last? Get my drift? ;)
nb
On Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 9:43:51 AM UTC-4, notbob wrote:

Not necessarily.

Option 3: Make the other parts fit.
I ran into a similar issue with an old Craftsman W/D vac a few years ago. M y local Sears didn't carry my filters in-store and I needed one that weeken d. They had a few filters from another model on their clearance rack, but t hey were bigger than the ones for my model (more surface area is a good thi ng, right?) However, they were really cheap, like all 3 for less than the p rice of 1 of mine.
I bought all three, then went home and cut off the plastic threaded rod tha t the original filter screwed onto and screwed in a long piece of 1/4" thre aded rod that I had in the shop. A few more minor modifications and the new filters fit just right. I used 2.5 of the 3 filters before my vac died so I definitely got my money (and efforts) worth out of the modification.

If filter availability (or pricing) is your only issue, a little bit of tim e in the shop might be a money saver in the long run.
On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 07:15:58 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

If you all think that story is good, let me tell you about when I was on Apollo 11.

So DD, why is you can make a weird part fit yer shop vac, but cannot make yer articles wrap, like above?
nb
On Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 11:32:26 AM UTC-4, notbob wrote:

Blame my corp servers for blocking newsreaders leading me to use GG.
My typing wraps in the input box in my browser (Chrome) but I guess it doesn't post that way.
BTW...I haven't heard that complaint from others. Do you all see it that way?
I'll also respond via IE and see if there is any difference.
On Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 11:37:33 AM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Posting via GG with IE. This is a test of the wrap feature so I'll just ramble (text just wrapped in the input box) on like I always do and see how this (wrapped again) appears when it hits the newreaders of the fine members of this (wrapped again) group.
Comments?
On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 08:41:46 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

On Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 12:36:02 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

this (wrapped again) appears when it hits the newreaders of the fine membe rs of this (wrapped again) group.

So I guess I should do my own wrapping to keep y'all happy.
I just pasted the following 2 sentences from my previous post into the GG i nput box, then manually added a CR where the input box wrapped it automatic ally. Nothing changed on my screen, i.e it didn't move the line next lines down. My guess is that *this* paragraph is not wrapped, but the following o ne is.
Posting via GG with IE. This is a test of the wrap feature so I'll just ramble (text just wrapped in the input box) on like I always do and see how this (wrapped again) appears when it hits the newreaders of the fine member s of this (wrapped again) group.
On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 08:41:46 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

This is better than what you used the previous time. Now that I've quoted it, I can see that your enitre paragraph is one line, because there is no > on the second line. This is inconvenient when I want to put comments within a paragraph. I have to remember to start from the bottom up, for example.
But OTOH, it wraps for me, even in Agent 1.93, because I have my own word wrap for reading turned on. That's command O or o in Agent.
And why is it better than the previous time? The previous time, when you first replied to NOTBOB in this thread, all your quoted lines ended in -20, even the blank lines that were quoted now had right after > And all of your own lines ended in =, except blank lines and the last line of each paragraph.,
micky wrote:

None of his posts have looked like that for me, all have been perfectly fine. Must be the readers that mess them up.

You use Windows OE. My guess is, most readers --and even servers-- are geared for Windows use. This is screwy, as usenet (newsgroups) was originally CLI (command line interface). Usenet preceeds even the world wide web (www) and GUIs (graphic user interface). So, essentially, what M$ has done is corrupted the original concept to their own advantage by changing the standards. Even Gobble, which is basically all Linux, concedes to M$'s dominance by making their servers (Gobble Groups) and readers (G2) conform to M$'s corruption. Typically, only ppl that adhere to usenets original stds are affected. Yes, my reader (slrn) can wrap corrupted lines, but why should I have to. I jes KF anyone who uses GG as a newsreader.
You can, also:
nb

You make it sound like it's either the sender or the reader. There is meant to be agreement between clients at both ends as to how text will be rendered. That you have a reader that agrees with his does not make the problem at other reader's end. That may or may not be true and it may or may not be a problem at t he sender's end.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Both wrapped for me (OE) but Chrome stuck in an extra line feed; i.e., there was a blank line between wrapped lines.