Shoddy shed shingling

Every year, over the past 12 or so yrs, this subject comes up.
The tape is _NOT_ to be peeled. The tape is there to keep the shingles from sticking together in the bundle/package. The adhesive is engineered to stick from the opposite side, hence why you have adhesive on the opposing side. Although, now some manufacturers have adhesive in two (2) different areas on the same side. All you have to do is _LOOK_ & _READ_ the tape on new material. It clearly states: "DO NOT REMOVE"
Lay out a couple of shingles, you'll get the jest of it.

Beau, is that you?

Oh look, a Group Policeman working his spell check. camryguy got his wish.
Guess if you can't add any useful information, might as well become a Netcop.
Great job!
On 11/01/10 06:56 pm, K Summers wrote:

I didn't notice any jesting, but I do now see that I was mistaken in thinking that the protective film should have been removed.
However, there is no "Do Not Remove" marking on that protective film on the new shingles -- but the on-line FAQ says that it is not necessary to remove it.
Perce

And I'll bet the instructions on the bundle say it.
Harry K
On 11/02/10 11:46 pm, Harry K wrote:

No. That's why I looked at the Web site. And even there it's not in the installation instructions: only in an FAQ.
Perce

The strip keeps the shingles from sticking together while they are in storage. Some folks reroof in winter, but I would not...need the sun to melt the stuff so it sticks to other shingles once it is on the roof.

You may want to RTFM.
I have never seen anything else used for a starter course and those little strips do not need to be removed.
Colbyt

And I bet those shoddy workers even cut the hidden part of the ridge cap shigles crooked. :-)

I just roofed our new shed with the same "architectural" shingles used on our new home (TAMKO Heritage):
1) The instructions recommended cutting the tabs off and turning the shingle around for the starter strip, just like shingle makers have recommended for decades. They also recommended using their starter strips as an option.
2) The shingles and shingle installation instructions specifically say "do not remove the plastic strip". This is good because I tried to remove one and it is practically impossible. I am told the plastic on newer (how old is newer? Dunno!) shingles is degradable. It is there to keep shingles from sticking during transport and then degrades during early life to provide adhesion. Years ago the strips were more like tape, with a loose end, which made them easy to remove.
Maybe your roof wasn't as bad as you thought. If it is still there after 20 years and doing its job it might have been OK.
RonB