Shocked!

Page 8 of 11

You f*cking moron. You tell him to look for leaks of 120VAC current by feeling for them -- I bet you'd tell him to look for gas leaks with a match, too.
Fred -- pay no attention to bob haller's advice. PLEASE.
On 10/27/2013 07:36 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

I have actually seen people do that...
I always wanted to ask what they'd do if they actually found a leak.
Somehow soapy water seems like a better idea to me, but what do I know.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Feel the shock ? !!!
Greg
On 10/27/2013 9:09 PM, gregz wrote:

After some thought, I suspect the OP has a bad neutral some where (maybe in the panel box where it's easier to find). An appliance some where in the house is neutral through the water line instead of through the white wire.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Stop and think about it Stormy - even if that WERE the case, the water system is SUPPOSED to be grounded - and if it is properly rounded there is no potential difference between the water system and ground - and therefore no tingle or shock.
On 10/28/2013 2:49 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Stop and think about it, Clare. If the OP wishes not to be shocked, s/he ought to FIND the problem. As such, looking for PROBLEMS like a bad NEUTRAL would help FIND and SOLVE the problem. Improving the ground will NOT do much about the SOURCE of the electricity.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Please explain how a bad neutral is going to make the ground float. I'm real curious how you are going to explain that. Not saying it's impossible - but please enlighten us. Or are you saying an open neutral between the panel and the street??
On 10/28/2013 07:22 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That would explain it, but one would expect other problems as well were that the case.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On 10/28/2013 8:16 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:

And the next question. What to do about a bad neutral? I remember a house, a friend asked me about a power socket that wasn't working. They were trying to use window AC. Read just fine on my three bulb tester. The problem turned out to be that the neutral in the panel box wasn't tightly screwed into the bar. So, I snugged all the neutral and ground screws at the bus bars. That took care of the problem, and found several loose connectors. Working inside panel box is very risky, there is a LOT of potential ways to get zapped. The OP should have that done by electrician.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
wrote in message wrote:

Please explain how a bad neutral is going to make the ground float. I'm real curious how you are going to explain that. Not saying it's impossible - but please enlighten us. Or are you saying an open neutral between the panel and the street??
My son had an open neutral from the overhead power line. I was helping him do some remodeling and happened to get a shock from the incoming water line. This is a very old house. In this case running a drill or saw would cause in lights to brighten or dim when on opposite phase. This is a 3 wire from transformer. Power company found a burnt up neutral connection at the meter. They repaired that and problem solved. WW

And the OP didn't experience (or report) any other issues.Which is why I asked Stormy to explain
On 10/28/2013 10:14 PM, WW wrote:

That's a very real possiblity, for the OP of this thread.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 10/28/2013 7:22 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Goal post move, noted. Is that the best you can do?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Didn't move the post. IF the water pipe is grounded properly, even an OPEN neutral at the pole will not make the pipe live. Impossible. Not bonding the neutral to ground can make the NEUTRAL higher than ground, which can give you a shock when touching the "grounded" chassis of an appliance and a "real" ground at the same time. That's the essence of "phantom voltage" problems that plagued rural america a few decades ago - where they used "ground return" (single wire distribution 135 volt AC IIRC)

So you're suggesting he actually attempt to shock himself? That seems just a tad irresponsible.
How about suggesting a meter instead of "do you feel the shock"?
...other irresponsible suggestions ending with "do you feel the shock" snipped...

...or it could kill him.

...yet you suggest he try some things and see if he "still feels the shock".
Wow!
theres a possiblity the power source could be a neighbors malfunctiong whatever
On 10/27/2013 5:47 PM, bob haller wrote:

And sending power through the water pipe? I'd expect the neighbor's appliance to send power into the pipe, which would ground out between his house and Fred's.
Be spooky if Fred was getting zapped by some thing in a neighbor's house.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

whatever
There are so many possible causes it's time for a pro and maybe even an alert to the power and water companies. The risk there is that if the power people find a serious enough fault, they will disconnect your service.
--
Bobby G.

On Saturday, October 26, 2013 8:20:19 PM UTC-5, Fred wrote:

Our OP has not said if he is barefooted, what else he was touching when he got the shock. But it does seem to NOT BE a static electricity thing since he states it is more or less continuous in one of his posts.
On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 15:05:59 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net"

He also says it is intermittent. Which points to a high possibility it is a water heater problem.