Shock with switch off..

Page 3 of 3
Did I miss it, or did anyone bring up the possibility of shared neutrals?
Once upon a time, I got a very mild shock from a neutral on a circuit (which was off at the breaker), only to find out that the neutral was shared across more than one breaker, and, as many people have pointed out, therefore carried some current (since other things on that other circuit were on).
I'm not an electrician, nor do I play one on the computer.

(twisted

Yep, Toller did -- and he *completely* missed the significance of it.

Ayup.
James:
J > Replacing a light fixture Saturday and received a shock with the switch J > turned off. After taking down the old fixture I had two white wires (twiste
J > together) and one black. Brushed the bare white pair and got a shock (may J > have been touching the ground at the time but i'm not sure). How is this J > possible? The wiring in the house is original (cira 1984) except for a few J > fixture replacements.
Not sure if I should get involved in the little flame-wars going on with this thread but what the heck! <g>
I'd guess the switch is somehow wired incorrectly: the black and white wires got reversed some where. The switch is switching the neutral, normally the white wire but in your case is the black. As another poster or two indicated, don't trust someone else's wiring. The circuit will work: an open (such as a switch) will stop the flow of electricity. Doesn't matter whether it's on the "black" side or the "white". Remember those Christmas tree bulbs where one bulb goes out and they all go out?
In order to get a shock you would have had to complete the circuit, from "hot" to ground, or at least a lower potential. Doesn't really matter how, more importantly to fix the probably hot/neutral reversal. Check your outlets on this circuit -- an outlet tester would be a fast way, though possible if they tapped from an outlet the black/white reversal is at the tap at the outlet and the outlet is wired correctly.
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* You don't have to offer a reward to find lost weight.
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971