Shock Fence Help

I tried to put up some shock fence to keep pets in the yard and to keep other animals from coming into my yard and mateing with or bothering my pets.

I ran the wire through holes drilled in PVC Sched 40 pipe. This turned out to work extremly poorly. When it rained, I would find burn marks from the wire, down the pipe to the ground. Sometimes it would burn through the pipe or wire. Many times when there was no perceivalbe moisture, I could touch the PVC fence post and feel a very slight shock ( while standing on carpet, but if I touched metal, it becase a bad shock.)

If someone can provide suggestions I would appreciate any help or advice (except on the morality of using shock fence with pets.)

Thanks

Reply to
Stephen Huckaby

Subject: Shock Fence Help Newsgroup: alt.home.repair => Stephen Huckaby I ran the wire through holes drilled in PVC Sched 40 pipe.

Yep...

That's because the PVC did not provide an insulator to ground. There is a reason why they sell the insulators with them. Water conducts electricity (and I don't need a lecture about intrinsic H2O). The insulators will isolate the water dripping from the path to ground.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Just go to a farm store and buy regular electric fence posts and insulators. Much easier to string the wire (use aluminum or hi-visibility tape/cord with SS wire) amd easier to repair. You can also use metal posts, much more durable than plastic.

Reply to
Nick Hull

IMPORTANT!

Don't pee on the fence!