Shingles and the Plastic strip (manufacturers reply)

This is in regards to the plastic strip found on the back of the asphalt shingles that were discussed regarding the removal or lack of. I guess my spouse and mother wasted a lot of time. Heck who reads instructions! (grin)
Lee
The film strip on GAFMC fiberglass asphalt shingles is to prevent sticking together of the shingles while in the bundle. Its removal is not necessary during application.
GAFMC states on all application instructions for our entire shingle product line "DO NOT REMOVE" in regards to the film strip.
John Wheeler Senior Technical Service Representative GAF Materials Corporation / US INTEC 1-800-766-3411 973-872-4278-ex.7848 Fax: 973-628-3856 E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@gaf.com
If you live in a high wind area (like most of the United States), the reason the government requires the adhesive is to meet code requirements. So why would you not remove it? Yes, the plastic tape cover prevents the shingles sticking together when bundled. But if it isn't meant to be removed when installed, why is it there. I have seen a BIG differnece in how well roofs hold up much better when removed.
1_Patriotic_Guy wrote:

You have NOT seen a big difference when it is removed. There is no difference between a roof that was installed correctly and one in which the installer incorrectly removed the strip. Why you would want to start a rumor like that, I have no idea. Unless you missed April 1st and are trying to make up for it.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Robert Allison wrote:

the reason

So why

shingles
removed when

well roofs

asphalt
sticking
necessary
Agree. I can't believe this keeps cropping up when it says in big letters "DO NOT REMOVE". I guess people think they put that there as a joke or something.
Harry K
1_Patriotic_Guy Wrote:

You answered your own question in the previous sentence. And it makes
not one whit of difference to the longevity of a roof system with the
strip on or off. HTH. Tom
--

tomeshew

Don Young wrote:

many
strips
bottom
strips make

The strip has NO effect on anything other than keeping the shingles from sticking together permanently while in the bundle during shipping and storage.
Removing the strips is an absurd waste of time. If someone has extra time on their hands, they should contact Habitat for Humanity.
I have to agree with the manufacturers but I still wonder why. The many shingles I have seen blown off after a few years all seem to have the strips firmly stuck to the shingles and no signs of adhesion on either the bottom of the strips or on the underlying shingles. Could removing the strips make the adhesion any worse? Don Young

Agreed. I thought we settled this issue as follows: the working adhesive on the shingles is on the top of each shingle. The plastic strip on the bottom is placed so that it lines up with the working adhesive strip of the shingle underneath when the shingles are arranged in bundles. Hence no sticking in the package. When the shingles are installed with the usual reveal, the plastic strip does not line up with the adhesive on the shingle underneath, so the adhesive can now do its job.
Cheers, Wayne
P.S. If you remove the plastic strip, you may find adhesive underneath. But this is just the adhesive to hold the plastic strip to the shingle, not the adhesive designed to hold the shingles down on the roof.
RicodJour wrote:

the
shipping
Waste of time for sure. Just trying to pick up one of those film strips when they do come off is fun. Letting go of it is even more fun.
Harry K