shingle tabs flying off!

here in the Northeast we had some major winds the past few days..
I came home today and found a shingle tab in my front yard... I have known previously that some shingle tabs on my roof are loosening from the adheshive.. it seems to be on the south side, where most of the sun hits.. There are now two-three missing from the south side dormer (which have been like that before I moved in, according to the neighbor), and now one from way up almost at the top..
I am trying to eek out one- to one and 1/2 years from this roof before replacing.. I had a friend come by and do alot of nailing down some nails that were pushing up from the shingles, and some flashing sealing last summer..
so, is this newest blown off shingle tab something to be overly sensitive about? There still is the shingle below that tab in place.. As long as I don't notice any leaks, I shouldn't be running to call a roofer, right?
<snip>

Probably not, but it might be prudent to have a talk with your insurance agent. There some scenarios where pro rata clauses could leave you in deep doo doo if wind storms come rolling around this summer. Best of luck.
Joe
Chris wrote:

Well it is telling you it may not last that year and a half. You could have your friend go up and replace the damaged - missing shingles. I would be looking for a roofer if it were me. Fixing is cheaper than damage.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
Chris wrote: <snip>

Ummmmmmmmm, no. The sheathing can/will absorb moisture, the insulation can/will absorb moisture, drywall (if drywall) can/will absorb moisture. Once everything is reaches the point of saturation, then you will see the leak. I'm not implying all leaks, start this way. Severe deficiencies in roof material may show moisture before being absorbed.
Your home, your call.

Now is a good time to start the search for a good roofer. You may get two years, you may get two weeks. I can't see it from here but it certainly is on the way to replacement. Check up in the attic to be sure you have no leaks. As long as we don't get any rain, you should be OK. Prices of roofing are going up so waiting may also be fiscally counterproductive.
If you are in the RI or Eastern MA area, check out Weisman Roofing in Warwick RI. They've done two jobs for me so far and did excellent work and good prices. One was 60 square on a 3 story building.
Youre right. It's always the south side that goes first.

That's a bit like saying, since gangrene hasn't made my foot fall off, I don't need to treat the wound do I?
My roof was losing shingle parts and I lasted longer than a year and a half, maybe 2 1/2 or 4, but otoh, during that time I had a leak in one corner that went into the attic and took out 10 square feet of my bedroom ceiling, plus it splattered on some stuff.
I think I could have made it last longer if I had done something as soon as the first leak started**, and if when I did do something, I had hired someone better, who should have been able to fix that leak, but accomplished nothing.
**oF COURSE i'M IN bALTIMORE and there are still parts of the winter when you can't put on a roof. The further north you are, the more there is like that.

Why? Right now I can't think of a good reason for that particular time period.

If it's the difference between paying cash for the re-roof, or putting on a credit card and carrying a balance for 18 months, you might look at going up there and painting the cracks with roofing tar. and then keeping a close eye on it for the season. What's your plan for if it starts coming apart in february? If you can afford to fix it this year, that's a better idea.