Shelving unit with cubes large enough to double stack DVDs?

I have alot of DVDs and I'm looking for a wall mounted cube storage unit like this...

When I went to look at it I found you can only store one row of DVDs in each cube, its too short to allow stacking them on top of each other and not wide enough to allow two, side by side, stacks.

Does anyone know of a shelving unit like thisbut with cubes just a bit larger so I can fit all my DVDs in it.

Thanks

Reply to
heisdavesjunk

Wow. 200 bucks for 20 bucks worth of wood. If you have any kind or carpentry/woodworking skills at all, and access to a table saw (or even a simple miter box), you can build your own purpose-built wall rack for that kind of money. Doesn't even have to have any miters, just Very Square 90-degree cuts. I'd make the outer box out of 2x6, or even 5/4 hardwood, slot the vertical members, and use 1x for the shelves. CDs don't weigh much- unless you make it real wide, you don't even really need the vertical dividers, or you could just use jam-fit floating blocks cut to the exact length between shelves. If you don't feel up to carpentry, and don't mind paying a little cash, any local custom woodworking shop could make something for you quite easily, sized to fit the wall area you want to hang it on. They can even put a couple of back rails on it, to make it stiffer and easier to hang on the wall. A shelf like this is about as simple as custom cabinetry can get.

Other option- try an office furniture store, and look for the purpose-built shelves they sell for storing computer CDs/DVDs. Usually a little institutional looking, but you may be able to find something.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

It would be a nice project, but I think you are off on the cost. The outer perimeter is about 30 board ft. The dividers are about 50 board feet. Even low end priced wood is over $4. Do you think a wood shop will make that for anywhere near the $200 quoted?

A few weeks ago I built a bookcase for my neighbor. 34" wide, 72" high. Oak plywood, oak trim, only 4 shelves. The material was $140. This is twice as wide and four times the dividers. Most wood shops charge at least 3x material.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

My admittedly swag middle-of-the-night figures were based on the material Ikea uses, and I should have put sarcasm quotes around 'wood'. The Ikea product is skinned chipboard, which they make or buy by the hectare. From the description on the web page, this thing is right up there with the kit furniture Wally World sells, quality-wise.

Yes, to build it out of stain-grade wood would cost considerably more than $20. But still less than $200, unless you went with hardwood. As to what a woodshop would charge- I didn't mean to imply that they would do it as cheap as Ikea, but that it would be a better product. A shelf purpose-built for CDs would only need to be 6 inches or so deep, so as to avoid hiding half the collection. Thinking about it more, now that I am awake, if I had a huge CD collection and wanted wall storage, rather than a difficult-to-transport 6'x6', I'd do several much lighter squares

2 or 3 feet on a side, each with a mounting rail, that could be hung on the wall one at a time in whatever pattern worked for where I was living at the time. I'd probably skin the backs, so they could be used to hold the CDs when I moved, like giant versions of old soda pop cases.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers