Shelf supports in vanity

The bathroom vanity I got needs a shelve in the under-counter space. One side can easily be supported with the little peg-style supports because the holes would be through a verticle side inside the vanity. Unfortunately, the other side is at the exposed end of the vanity, so I would not want to drill through. So the question is how to support that side of the shelf. The end wall is 1/2" particle board.
My current thoughts:
1. Put a collar on a drill bit to limit the depth to, say, 3/8". Allowing for the drill point, that should stop about 1/16" short of the outter surface. However, any little slip-up could spell disaster.
2. Get a length of 1/2" square hardwood stock and and glue it to the inside surface. Clamping would be difficult, but perhaps I could use some short screws to hold it in place while the glue dries.
Which would be best? Any thing I've missed?
TIA
Ed
Jag Man wrote:

clipped
Cut a piece of plywood or whatever to fit inside the end panel, drill holes in it. The shelves will hold it in place and it will hold up the shelves.
Norminn wrote:

Or if it's only one shelf you're installing then just cut that piece the right height to fit under the shelf and slap it against the vanity wall with a slathering of construction adhesive behind it.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Norminn & Jeff,
Great ideas. Thanks!
Ed
Jag Man wrote:

Gotta be careful drilling holes inside stuff you like - I hurt a nice library table trying to attach the leg. Ended up with a hole through the top, but I could put a doily over it :o)