Shelf Height Question

I want to put in decorative shelving in two corners of an EIK. Put one shelf in and it doesn't look quite right. Is there a rule of thumb for how high off the floor it should be? Thanks.

I just move it until my wife says "that looks good" and then screw it in place. Ed
the space between the floor and the first shelf should be the same as the rest of the shelves, but it's not that critical. Just depends on what you want to put in those storage spaces.
"Michael S. Trachtenberg" wrote:

If you are using the self for display, then, in general you want the displayed items at eye level. If they will be viewed by someone sitting, then they should be lower since their eye level will be lower; standing higher.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

In my opinion Any height above shoulder height. but low enough to reach (with-out a stool).
C.A.
C.A.
On 5 Jul 2003 18:54:41 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@mailexpire.com (Michael S. Trachtenberg) wrote:

A good decorator's rulle is 1/3-2/3. A third of the wall above the shelf, two-thirds below. Or the space to the floor is double the space to the ceiling.
Another rule is an extension of a grid. Line the shelf up with the nearest horizontal item in the same general area. Might be a window moulding, cabinet, etc. If it's slightly above or below that line it looks way off.
Jeff