Shelf

I've seen (on home improvement shows) shelves that hang with hidden brackets (ex: Mount a 2x4 onto a wall and slip the shelf over it and secure from top (obviously, the shelf is about 4" thick). I've also seen (again, on TV) shelves that look like you screw supports into a wall (short tubes?) and slide the shelf over them and secure.
Where can I find something like this or do I need to build my own?
As far as I know, you will have to build your own or hire someone to create them.
The first one you mentioned is known as a stress skin panel. The other system is totally self designed.

hidden
and
also
into a

own?

I've seen these and others at Ikea in Singapore and Taiwan. I would imagine that Ikea in the US should do them as well.
Hi Jo!
J > I've seen (on home improvement shows) shelves that hang with hidden J > brackets (ex: Mount a 2x4 onto a wall and slip the shelf over it and J > secure from top (obviously, the shelf is about 4" thick). I've also J > seen (again, on TV) shelves that look like you screw supports into a J > wall (short tubes?) and slide the shelf over them and secure. J > J > Where can I find something like this or do I need to build my own?
Haven't seen them commercially (except for the glass shelf which slips into the accomanying bracket), but then again haven't looked. Appears the "connection" part is a piece of wood cut in half with a 45 angle. One piece to the wall (I'd go into the studs) and the other to the shelf unit.
Side view: x <== Wall x _________________________ x |_________________________| x | | x \ | x || \| x || x \ / \ x \/ | \ x |_ | x x
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* Always remember you are unique... just like everyone else
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971

There are shelves with no visible means of support in the Hold Everything catalog in a variety of styles. I have always assumed that some sort of bracket gets attached to the wall and the shelf itself is slipped over or onto that bracket. Sort of like towel racks, in other words.
The Exposures catalog has shelves like this, too. I think Pottery Barn might, also.
The shelves are very stylish these days. I'm going to get some in teak to put airplane models on in my dining room.
Mary
snipped-for-privacy@qnet.com