Sheetrock verses Paneling Question.

Page 1 of 2
This is Turtle.
i was fixing up a camp and found that sheetrock prices they scared me !
i checked on sheet rock prices and they want locally $9.50 a sheet of 1/4" sheetrock ! i went to low's , Home Cheap-0, and Southerlands internet wise and all will not give you a price on sheetrock. also they did not give but maybe 5 or 6 type of paneling and it was the high price stuff.
Yes I know i can be scared easily but is $9.50 a sheet for 1/4" Sheet rock normal ? i have seen cheap paneling for $10.00 a sheet and you don't have to paint it. So if $9.50 a sheet of sheetrock is normal i'm going to go CHEAP paneling in my camp and not have to paint it.
So i need some question answered.
What does 1/4'' sheetrock go for normally [ ballpark price ] at home cheap-0 and other places ?
what or who has the cheapest white plain jane Paneling there is ? also What does CHEAP white plain jane paneling go for [ Ball Park Price ] ?
I have spent 2 hours hunting from home Cheap-0 and others for prices of sheet rock and paneling and found just about zero in product finds. And yes i've googled the hell out of it and i can't get nothing . if any of you can run a computor and find Cheap Plain jane White Paneling. I will thank you a thousand times to find it. and no i don't want to order it off the internet or drive to Mexico to get it. low's, home cheap-0, and places like that would have to come from for they have outlets near me.
What ever happen to the $3.00 a sheet Paneling ?
TURTLE
i bet some of those have an 800 number you could call, if not your local store..
everything has gone up, probably due to gas prices. this summer 12/2 nm was 34$ for a 250' roll. its now 52. thats just one example..
randy

Wow. You're getting screwed, guy. I just bought a roll last week for $31.

This is Turtle.
there maybe difference between wholesale and retail at low's or home cheap-0.
TURTLE

No, this was retail, at Home Depot. $30.90, to be exact. Same price at Lowes, and a dollar higher at Menard's.
Have a look here: http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productIdp111-295-28828269

This is Turtle.
this summer the electric warehouse was wanting to dump some 12-2 Romex with nake ground for 1,000 Spool for $87.00. i pick up 2 spools which will last me about 2 years.
TURTLE
"TURTLE" wrote:

I've never seen 1/4" sheetrock. Does your high quote involve slicing 1/2" standard sheetrock in half :-) Nick

This is Turtle.
I call the store before hand and got them to split it for me before i got there and made 1/4" sheet rock.
TURTLE
On 19 Feb 2005 06:16:09 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@ece.villanova.edu wrote:

It takes hours for the workers to use utility knives to split the sheets in half. They they have to coat the bare sides with duct tape from top to bottom. This stuff is often used by rednecks in their trailer houses for several reasons.
1. If they use 1/2" drywall, the rooms will beome too small for the fat wives to enter.
2. Rednecks like the look of the duct tape, and being they are always drunk, they can not "paper" their walls with ducttape and get it straight.
3. Thinner walls mean that their shotgun shells travel further when shot thru the wall, and make it easier to get that "skwrill" for dinner.
4. Rednecks dont want to do alot of work. I/2" drywall is just too heavy fo them.
5. Thinner drywall means using shorter, thus cheaper nails.
6. Thinner drywall bends better. Since the walls in redneck houses are often made of freshly cut trees held together with duct tape, old tires, and bailing wire, the drywall needs to bend to fit the corrked walls.
7. Thinner walls mean it's easier for rednecks to punch holes in the walls when they have domestic violence battles and want to punch the neighbor in the next door trailer without leaving the house.
8 Thinner drywall means less debries to clean up when rednecks burn down their trailer court.
9. Thinner drywall makes it easier to locate leaks in the roof and walls.
10. Thinner drywall makes it easier to eavesdrop on the neighbors during sex.
11. Thinner drywall saves on electricity, because you can shut off your tv and listen to the neighbors tv,
12. It's always easier to stash a dead body behind the wall when the walls are thin.
I know all of this from personal experience !!!

and
maybe 5

cheap-0 and

What does

sheet
thousand
drive to

come
1/4 sheet rock has been 10 bucks a sheet for at least 10 years. It is usually only used in special situations. Like when you want to bend it.
The box stores are selling 1/2 for about 5 bucks a sheet here in Phoenix
Paneling is going to be more money unless you have a rail road salvage yard near. more like $15 a sheet if you can find any for that.

this is Turtle.
At Southerlands 1/2" sheet rock here $6.29 and 1/4' sheetrock $5.84 everyday price.
TURTLE
Why do you need 1/4"? 1/2" is cheaper. To do paneling proper you would need a drywall backer anyway.

You dont want 1/4" have a few to many beers, lean on it and you have a big hole in it. What is your stud spacing

He's probably trying to cover up some old crumbling horse hair plaster.

This is Turtle.
100+ year old Cypress Board wall looks ugley ! I quote my wife and friends wife.
TURTLE

This is Turtle.
Don't really know for laying it on a solid cypress board wall.
TURTLE

this is Turtle.
what is a dry wall backer ? we were laying it on a solid cypress wall boards.
TURTLE

He means that to do paneling properly, you need to put drywall up first, behind it, and panel over the drywall, instead of just fastening the panels to bare studs.
TURTLE wrote:

Bought some at HD a couple of months ago for - IIRC - about the same as you saw. It was about $2.00 per sheet *more* than 1/2". I needed it for a special purpose. Any reason you couldn't use 1/2" _________________

Same thing that happened to $10,000 being a good year's pay...inflation (thank the government) screwed it.

This is Turtle.
Well , I'm a candy ass and have you ever held 1/2" sheet rock up so your buddy could screw to the wall ? it's a solid wall we are laying on and the 1/4" sheet rock feels pretty good for me to hold up there while he screw it to the wall.
TURTLE