Sheetrock question

Page 2 of 2

Ditto...To "get it RIGHT" you need to use a drywall screw gun set to the PROPER depth and drive the screws STRAIGHT in and NOT cockeyed...DO NOT use a cordless driver that MOST carpenters and homeowners TRY to use...It ALWAYS creates problems with screw pops due to over driving screws....Dimple any missed screw holes in by GENTLY tapping them with the handle of your drywall knife..That is what the steel end cap at the bottom of the handle is for........Good luck....

Didn't he use -screws-? How are screws going to pop out?
On 2/8/2009 5:57 PM Bob M. spake thus:

Hate to be the one to tell you this, but you ought to re-read the original post.
And yes, screws can pop out as well. In fact, may be more likely with screws than with nails.
--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won\'t use it. I like it

Dave-
Please explain your rationale for.....

I've seen nail pops but never "screw pops".
Most nail pops (imo) are from the drywall not being seated against the framing, timber shrinkage or nail not being seated / dimpled sufficiently.
Pops come from relative motion between the nail (screw) head and drywall face sheet / mud / tape. In order to a "pop" (nail head pushes "out" on mud / tape) to occur either the nail must move "outward" or the drywall "inward" or similar relative motion.
I see this as being highly unlikely with screws unless the drywall was not seated against the framing.
cheers Bob Drywall is pretty crappy material.
If you pierce the paper, it is my understanding that it can cause 2 problems. The loose paper above the screw can let the mud above it pop out. Nail pops are not necessarily a nail popping out. Loose paper can look the same according to a sheetrock guy I used once in my previous home. Also if a lot of the screws pierce the paper the sheetrock will hang loosely on the stud and if someone leans against it the screwheads can push out the mud.

Then forget about it. -----
- gpsman
    Well it will pierce the paper, it has too. It should also produce a small indent around the screw or nail head. Without the indent the screw or nail would poke up above the surface of the wall. Not good. With the indent it gets filled with dry wall compound.
On 2/9/2009 5:21 AM snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com spake thus:

Only the shank of the screw should pierce the paper, not the entire head.
--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won\'t use it. I like it
On Mon, 09 Feb 2009 12:00:25 -0800, David Nebenzahl

    Exactly

Don't ever use that guy again for anything!
Harry K

It won't make a bit a difference, since he glued or PL'd the studs b/4 hanging. Uhhhhhh, that's providing he glued or PL'd the studs.
I wouldn't think about putting a covering such as Corian over _unglued_ rock, unless you like asking for trouble.

Just buy this guy some 50 cent "dimpling bits" at home depot and shoot some more screws. The dimpling bits work great, they release the screw just as it dimples the paper without tearing it. Or just shoot more screws yourself while he is away. The paper should not be torn to get the most strength. Also if it's a wet area you should be using stainless steel screws anyway.