sheetrock over popcorn ceiling

Hi all:

I've got some popcorn ceilings that I hate, but unfortunately I had them tested and they had a significant amount of asbestos on them. I don't really want to pay to have it professionally removed, so I'm searching for alternatives to removal at this point. The only choice I've found is to sheetrock over the popcorn. However, several of the rooms are extremely big (25x30), and I've been told by my contractor that I would not be happy with the results in such a big room, as the new sheet rock would appear "lumpy" due to the uneven surface it is being attached to.

Are the other alternatives? Is there a way to make sheetrocking work(put an additional frame over the popcorn before sheetrocking?) The ceiling is only 8' tall so I can't really do anything that would significantly lower it.

Thanks

Reply to
Actor 123

You could strap the ceiling again and put sheetrock on the new strapping, but do you really want to have asbestos trapped under there? Get rid of it now. It's pay now or pay later when you go to sell.

Reply to
Randd01

Why? What problem will "trapped asbestos" cause?

Reply to
George

First off, there may not be any asbestos at all. If the house was built after 1977, it was not permitted. Next step, is why sheetrock over good sheetrock? Have you tried removing the stuff? It comes off easily with water and a sponge. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Assuming it's never been painted..

Reply to
Truitt Bottsford III

You have a problem here. Covering up the asbestos, or removing it yourself could make the problem worse. You shouldn't take advice on this from someone who can't cite your state law on the matter.

Reply to
Wade Lippman

Correct, I found the original post and see there is asbestos. Yes, you can remove it yourself, but you do have to comply with the law regarding removal and disposal. Generally, it should be wet down to keep it from blowing around during removal, rooms must be sealed off during removal and special protective clothing should be worn, including respirators. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yikes! Well you could consider 2x4 soft ceiling tiles. You could make your own supports (dado narrow strips of wood) for it but I have seen suspended ceiling metal frames attached directly to the ceiling with staples. Either way you would only lose an inch and disturb the asbestos far less than you will by trying to drywall.

Reply to
TimWatley

There is nothing worng with covering the asbestos but you would have to disclose it when you sell. I agree sometimes the EPA and OSHA goes a little overboard with this stuff but it is for our safety. If it were mine i would wet it down and scrape it off and dispose of it legally.

Reply to
Randd01

Well, let me first say that I appreciate everyone attempting to answer my questions. That being said, everybody in the thread has I believe completely missed the point of the question :)

The ceiling IS asbestos. It has been tested as such. I have no intention of removing it myself, for safety and legal reasons. In my state, it must be professionally removed. Professional removal is way too expensive for my purposes. The reason I want it removed is merely because I don't like the look of popcorn on the ceiling, not that I'm afraid for my safety or anything. And, well, updating the look simply isn't worth the price of safe removal.

So I am left with two options: (1) leave it as is (2) make the ceiling flat without removing the popcorn or in some way causing asbestos to seep into the air. My problem is that the only option for #2 that I have heard about is to simply sheetrock over the popcorn, which for this large a room presents a major problem as far as how it will look when its done. So my question is basically is there any other way to make the ceiling flat without removing the popcorn and without the simplistic "sheetrock over it". Is there something I can do to prep the ceiling short of asbestos removal that would help make sheetrocking over it look more even? Putting in spacers? I don't know, that's why I'm asking.

Reply to
Actor 123

Well, that takes me back to my last answer; get professional advice.

For instance, in NYS if you put up your new drywall, you would have to disclose that there is asbestos of unknown condition under the new ceiling. I doubt anyone would then buy your house at any price; in fact, I doubt you could even get a realtor to list it until you had it all professionally ripped out. Your law might be even stricter.

If you are not concerned about having asbestos on your ceiling, you should be.

Reply to
Wade Lippman

It is only a danger if the fibers are inhaled. It is perfectly legal to seal them with paint and other materials to render them harmless to occupants. The danger is in removing and creating dust, cutting into the ceiling, or other work that can create asbestos dust. If it sits in place for a million years, it will be of no harm to you. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

So would I

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I don't think you understand the circumstances which make asbestos a hazard.

Walt Conner

Reply to
Walt Conner

What kind of depth are we talking about here if you were to fill in the voids? Also how much of the surface is extruded? 25% 50%? I'm asking because I'm wondering how much material it would take to fill in the void. Could the ceiling be "floated" with drywall filler to a reasonable smoothness, and then meshed and prepped for stucco?

Reply to
hobart

altho it takes A LOT of sheetrock mud you can just mud over the popcorn, being careful to not disturb it. if you want to be sure that it is nice and tight, then you can paint it (ideally airless spray) first and when dry then mud over it. the paint will also keep the popcorn from sucking up the mud. NOW ONE OTHER caveat - if you have radiant heat in the ceiling - it is integral to the popcorn of the ceiling and too much moisture will bring the WHOLE thing down.

Claudia __________________________________ "Age is...wisdom, if one has lived one's life properly." --Miriam Makeba, singer

Reply to
ClaudCar

Easily is relative. :)

But popcorn removal would be definitely easier than re-sheetrocking.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran

In Florida you can encapsulate the asbestos and leave it in place, but I doubt that's actually possible on a ceiling. The issue is future remodeling, and unless you can encapsulate both top and bottom, you'll have a liability.

Also, locally, the only houses with asbestos that sell are the ones that are being bulldozed fro new ones. Any other sale is always contingent on the seller removing the asbestos and providing proof of removal. Fortunately in our area, asbestos use was rare in residential construction.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran

Your choices are to have it removed or shim the ceiling and sheetrock. Another alternative is to mix paint with spackle compound and coat it over the popcorn.

Reply to
houseslave

I think this is the best option. I know of this being done. When wet down, it comes off fairly easily, doesn't float around in the air tho you want to wear protective mask at least, is one heck of a mess but you are rid of it, no disclosure concerns.

"Mudding" over it with drywall compound is not an option unless you are a plasterer. Your odds of getting a decent looking finish are minimal, odds of finishing joints satisfactorly without a pro are also minumal.

Walt Conner

Reply to
Walt Conner