Sheetrock hug wrong sided out

The builder of my 40yo house put the backside of the sheetrock facing down from our ceiling. My wife put a 3rd layer of paint on and the paint started chipping. I've scraped about 1/2 the ceiling, trying to remove the old paint and have torn the stuff out of the paperbacking. Short of hanging an entire new ceiling of sheetrock does anyone have any ideas what I should do?

Reply to
Peterce49

get a new contractor , and a lawyer ??????

"Peterce49" wrote:

downEfrom our ceiling. My wife put a 3rd layer of paint on and the paint startednchipping. I've scraped about 1/2 the ceiling, trying to remove the old paintsand have torn the stuff out of the paperbacking. Short of hanging an entireanew ceiling of sheetrock does anyone have any ideas what I should do?

Reply to
The Freon Cowboy

"Peterce49" wrote in news:77bba45e409fd@uwe:

Skim coat?

Reply to
Clark

Missed the "40yo" [ = forty years old] part, didja?

Reply to
Doug Miller

After you get the peeling stuff off you can cover a multitude of ceiling sins with "texture paint" applied with a roller.

If you think you'd like the rough look of a "textured ceiling", you might give that approach some consideration.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

its taken you 40 yrs to finally paint the drywall, or , how has it been for 40 years.

Reply to
ransley
40 years old. I wonder what the product really was and what kind of finishes have been put on it since then and if there may have been environmental conditions that have caused problems. I would guess you will need to consider a variety of possible situations.
Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Reply to
The Freon Cowboy

Get some bids on replacement. You probably will be surprised at how reasonable the cost is. Ceilings are best left to the pros who have the lifts and other special tricks. A nicely primed and painted new ceilng will brighten up the whole room, and perhaps your paintin' mate will enjoy doing it on something worth while. You could then consider some classy new crown molding for a luxury touch, which then would have you springing for a new miter saw and... you get the picture. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

DON'T try to peal more paper off. Skim coat is best to cover this rather than textured paint. Cover the floors with tarps. Get a big bucket or wheelbarrow and fill it with drywall mud. Water it down some and mix well. Use a paint roller to roll on a layer of the watered down drywall mud. Finish to your taste. This is a good base for stomp finish, which is popular right now.

Reply to
Mike Dobony