Sheetrock Crack

If the crack is not following a seam or joint, you may have a nasty structural problem to deal with. If your house is a ranch type on a slab with rather long ceiling spans there could be enough movement to cause cracking. A good architect or structural engineer would be familiar with these problems. It would be prudent to get the best advice you can to get a permanent fix. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

I'm not drywall expert, but it seems to be that if the crack is at a tape line, you need to support the drywall better at that point by driving in a few screws, then use some fiberglass tape and mud it up.

Reply to
Larry Bud

The sheetrock in the ceiling over my dining room has developed a crack. The crak has begun 'running' across the ceiling. Would appreciate suggestions as to how to stop the crack from running further (drill a small 'stop' hole maybe) and to effect a repair .

thanks for any helpful suggestions.

Reply to
Newby

First question.... how old is the house?

suggestions

'stop' hole

Reply to
Art Begun

Second question(s):

  1. Is the crack at a seam where two sheets meet or, say, running across the middle of a single sheet?

  1. Do you live anywhere in the vicinity of an operating rock quarry or any other major, ongoing infrastructure project that involves blasting? (I'm not being a smart-ass here, either.)

  2. How reliable, if known, were the guys who installed the ceiling in the first place?

  1. Is the sheetrock screwed into sound, original ceiling (especially if yours is an older home with plaster walls and ceilings), or was this a job that covered any myriad of past sins -- like a bowed plaster ceiling or a really crap-job suspended ceiling?

  2. If you were around when the work was done originally, was the drywall half-inch or five-eights thick?

AJS

Reply to
AJScott

What is above it? Attic or another finished floor?

Reply to
Art Begun

Reply to
Newby

I'm not sure I will have a close look today and see if I can tell.

No.

Don't know. The house is 47 years old.

The sheetrock is the original ceiling.

Don't know.

Reply to
Newby

Attic with nothing stored over the dining room area.

Reply to
Newby