Sheet Rock Screws

In the past 2 or 3 years we have hung new sheet rock in a few of the rooms in our home. We have noticed that you can now see where the screw heads are. They look like dark spots on the walls. The screws aren't pushing through they are just showing through. Any ideas on what we are doing wrong? Thanks!
B. Johnson wrote:

Did you put tape and spackle over the tape? Try Google on installing sheet rock.
Lou
On 4/29/2008 8:46 AM LouB spake thus:

Google won't help you if you don't know not to put tape over screws. Tape goes over joints; you just use mud (not "spackle") over screws.
conversation with the average voter.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

B. Johnson wrote:

the heads.
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

message

I agree...Give them a quarter or half a turn hit and them with joint compound 3 times and touch up the paint. In the future use a drywall screwgun that will set them at the proper depth. Not to deep though or they will pop through the sheetrock.... Good luck....
B. Johnson wrote:

Didn't set them deeply enough and mud them sufficiently, most likely. Need to dimple the paper, but not pull through to break it.

If the wood studs weren't dry enough when installed, they still do a little bit of shrinking. This will tend to cause even screws to get a little higher. The problem is worse for LONGER screws so you only use screws long enough to hold.