sheet rock behind stucco

Hello:

Have a townhouse built in the late 70's in Texas. Some of the walls have stucco on the exterior. Questions:

a) how can I tell if it is real or synthetic (EIF?) stucco? b) what is the proper way to install stucco?

I ask these questions b/c I have a reoccuring leak that has had just about everything done to the wall, but moisture appears to keep coming in. The only place I see this is one wall in the attic.

The stucco appears to be applied over a chicken wire mesh and then has what appears to be sheetrock behind that. If I'm reading the info in the NG correct, stucco on chicken wire is "real" stucco? However, I thought there would then be some sort of moisture barrier. ??

From what I've read, stucco breathes a good deal so the moisture that I can see where there is just stucco and chicken wire I'm thinking is normal. It's not like a running leak, I can just see condensation if it rains a while. However, if I can see that moisture, would that mean there is moisture getting up on the sheetrock looking stuff? Is that ok?

Thanks for your help!

Reply to
Pablo

I will be interested in the replies, I have never heard of "real" stucco. My home circa 1999 is stucco, about a half inch applied over lath (chicken wire) and an insulating board under that. Probably Styrofoam or something close.

By definition stucco is water proof. That is why it is applied on the out side. From what I remember about the 70's they were spraying the scratch and brown coats on and then hand toweling the final coat.

You had better locate the leak, water from the back side will eventually degrade the stucco into a mess, let alone the structure of the home.

Reply to
SQLit

Briefly, the leak is coming through the stucco.

Reply to
Pablo

also, what about ripping the old sheetrock (???) like stuff off and sealing with a water paintable water barrier? then putting sheet rock (or the proper) paneling back up?

Reply to
Pablo