Sheet metal screw stripped out

One of the overhead vent covers in my house has stripped out. The screw that goes into the sheet metal of the vent has become oversized and now the screw won't hold.
If I stuff one of those plastic expanding wall anchor thingys in the sheet metal will that suffice to hold it or is there a better way to secure the screw?

Assuming the vent cover isn't very heavy, it'll prolly work. Better solution would be to just use a larger sheet metal screw.

I assume that the sheet metal screw is going into a flange of sheet metal on the duct. You can use the next larger diameter screw (this may require painting the new screw head). Stop at the hardware store and buy a speed nut : <http://www.tinnerman.com/search.asp?Cw&C1w&V=1&S=1 . Place a thin piece of plastic (like the lid of a coffee can) behind the flange and screw into it. ______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

\\
admitting to stealing even something like this publically on the net probably isnt a good idea
anyone might be watching:(

I've heard there are a lot of people who have graduated the Sally Struthers school of speed nut police.

This (famous, notorious) book, "The Devil's Dictionary", has under "conscience" something like this:
The disturbing feeling that someone might be looking.
David