Shed - recommended shelf height

Would anyone share their opinion on the following? I'm having trouble deciding the proper height for the bottom storage shelf in a shed. Also, how much space should I leave between the 1st and second shelf.
I'm finishing up a shed and now I'm left with installing shelfs. I've decided to install sets of 2 16" deep shelfs on two of the walls which span across the entire wall lenght.
Using up half of the third wall (beind divided by a window) I'll be installing sets of 2 24" deep shelfs.
I usually use the height of the tallest object to be stored on or below shelfs to get an idea of these measures. That is easy inside the house, measure books/boxes. But wans't sure about the shed.
Thank you for any comments/suggestions.
Drill holes through 2X4s to accept rods, maybe 3/8" diam, and use the rods to support shelving. Multiple matching holes give you the option of changing orientation in the future.
On 3 May 2004 11:47:28 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (Ozz) wrote:

I would place the 1st shelf 18" - 24" off the floor to allow for all those damn buckets of rock salt in the winter.