Shed questions

Page 2 of 2
On 9/26/2012 8:07 AM, bob haller wrote:

Depends on how taxing works in your area. If we place them on a poured slab it becomes taxable property and for some reason the taxes are higher than you would think. The usual deal around here is to place them on a crushed stone bed as Ed described.

Thought about it but rather costly. The concrete would have been hundreds more and then I need a different permit, taxes, etc. You have to draw the line somewhere. This is 10 x 16.
This shed should last 20 to 25 years. I don't think I will.
On 9/25/2012 10:55 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

With the exception of making a kids playhouse sort of thing I have never seen one finished inside.

Those Amish built units are well built and so much better than the big box versions.

If I understand correctly, can you mortar or grout the voids?

The openings are 3 1/2" by a total of 9' on each side. Picture the shed (or a big box) sitting on four 4 x 4 beams.
An easy way is to block them with wood sheathing cut to strips, but I'm not sure that blocking with no air circulation is a good idea.

Got it. My first thought is small wire mesh or vinyl screening. Not sure if either is a permanent fix but I think if attached and buried well, it should work. Not sure tho if the summer sun will affect the vinyl screening where you are.
My other thought for longevity is to use concrete block instead of 4x4 wood beams for the support. I'm not a fan of wood buried or in contact with the soil tho I know it's done often.

A few years ago I bought a 10x16 shed and it was set up on one concrete block on one end and several on the othe as the land slopes. That way no wood was directly on the ground. The bottom of the shed is on runners that are 4x4s of treated wood.
I did not finish the inside of the shed walls. The exposed studs give me a place to drive some nails and hooks in to hang things. I did put up a panel or two of the boards that have lots of holes in them and used the hangers for them for some tools. I do not want an insulated or heated building as it is just for storage. Mainly of lawn equipment. I do not intend to be in it much when it is too cold for the grass to grow.

I'm sure your Amish shed is better built than mine, which I bought from HD, but since I got for less than half price on an "open box discount" I was able to buy extra material to build it to higher standards than the kit called for.
I originally bought enough 2 x 4's and plywood to build a roughly 4 x 6 lean-to shed which was all I was looking for. I spent about $250. I went back into the store for something I had forgotten and while going out a different door I saw a handwritten sign that read "Open Box Shed Kits - See Manager"
I found a manager and ended up with the kit for this shed for the same $250, instead of the $599 list price.
http://handyhome.com/marco-series/kingston8x8 /
I needed to buy roofing material and PT plywood for the floor, but that never came with the kit anyway. That's how they keep the price down. They also keep it "cheap" by not using sill plates for the walls and not using a full studded wall for the back wall. I bought extra studs and built *real* walls and also upgraded a few other items. When it was done, I still spent less than the original price of $599, including the roofing and flooring. I'm pretty happy.
BTW...that reminds me of something I saw in HD last night. When I bought the roofing material for the shed, I bought a bunch of open- pack shingles from Lowes for $10 a bundle. Last night I was pricing shingles at HD for a couple of dog houses I'm building and went looking for some open bundles. Instead of marking down the open bundles, they are now selling "single shingles" for $2.02 a piece. Maybe they've been doing it for a while, but I wasn't looking before. That's a lot more expensive than the $10 a bundle I paid a few years ago.
Maybe cut 4 x 4 to fit, the gaps. Or, more stone.
I may have woodchuck living under my trailer. Sadly, I've got nosy neighbors. The trailer park has a waiting list for the live trap, they drive them out and release them some where. Which is about as effective as bailing water from one side the boat, and pour it out at the other side of the boat. I doubt I could kill them, someone would be sure to be offended.
I just bought a new shed for storage of typical outdoor equipment, holiday decorations, etc. It is made with Duratemp siding on the outside, framed with 2 x 4 inside.
My questions: Does anyone bother with an interior finish?
I made a bed of stone and the shed sits on 4 x 4s so there is a gap on the ends. Cover with screening? I just want to avoid skunks or raccoons taking up residence under it.
This is a pre-fab that is dropped in place. They are built in Amish country in PA and shipped to the local dealer. They set it in place in less than an hour. It looks well built. Far better than the stuff we saw at the big box stores. Framing is 16" OC, plywood and not OSB, pressure treated floor, etc. I got a gambrel roof because it has a loft on the end for more storage space than a typical "A" frame roof. I'm adding additional shelving on the other side and back.