Shed questions

I had coon sitting on my deck every night staring into my family room. Creepy!

The town lends Hav-A-Hart traps to residents then picks up the trap and relocates/disposes of the animal. I put the trap in the backyard with some peanut butter in a bowl and caught the critter almost as soon as the sun went town.

The trap was in an area where grass won't grow and is covered in mulch. Under the mulch we had placed landscaping fabric to prevent weeds. I left the trap there overnight, planning to move it to front of the house and call the town in the morning.

When I went out the next morning the trap was surrounded by shreaded landscape fabric, piled almost halfway up the trap. The coon had clawed and "dragged" the fabric in towards the trap from all sides in his attempts to escape. He had dragged over 3 feet of fabric towards the cage on 2 sides. He was not happy and neither was I.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Didn't deal well with captivity, eh?

I don't know what towns do with racoons, but the population is mobile, and will fill voids. You likely can trap one a day, forever.

.

[...]

Stormin Mormon

We often have racoons (and deer and turkey and fox) in the neighborhood because we live near a wooded area above a bay. They tend to stay near the woods, occasionally venturing into our yards for a snack. It's rare that one shows up every night like the one that kept coming up onto our deck, which is 6 feet off the ground. I've seen racoon in the tree that is right next to the deck fairly often over the years, but this one was just a little too close for comfort. I don't know if it was rabid and therefore acting differently than the other racoons so I set a trap.

Even though I was pretty sure that he was the only one hanging around the yard, I put the trap out the next night also (Animal Control brings the trap back and we have to return it to the town when we're done). Didn't take long for me to trap the nieghbor's cat. I guess she likes peanut butter too! I let her go and didn't catch anything else, so I returned the trap a few days later.

For a roughly 2 week period last fall we had 2 gray fox that would come out the woods just after sunset and nipple on the berries on my neighbor's bush. Every night, like clockwork. I guess they ate their fill because they stopped coming around and we never saw them again.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I don't get that. I love raccoons, and all the critters. I used to get up in the middle of the night and find 6 raccoons in the kitchen, wolfing down cat kibble. I did put a stop to that, but I love looking out the window and seeing them.

Reply to
Smitty Two

Smitty Two wrote in news:notpublicinfo- snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

I loved looking at the raccoon that was sitting on the picnick table trying to unscrew a bottle with sugar. I laughed when he (or a comrade) tried to run away with something big, so I had to chase him and take it back. I didn't like it when in another campsite, where there had been a bear sighted in the afternoon, my wife woke up from something furry touching her in the middle of the night. My beard wasn't yet big enough to cause it, it was a raccoon, that fled immediately.

Reply to
Han

I can't use "camp" and "wife" in the same sentence so that would never happen.

We had a bat in the bedroom one night. She brushed something off her pillow.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

This was in 1970. We have gotten less pliable, so tents are definitely out. We tried a rented RV - that was once but not again, most likely.

Reply to
Han

Had a groundhog, too. (-:

Last night the possum did his walkaround and the dog got so exited she tried to jump up the window bringing down a fan and a host of other things clattering to the ground. I was in the LR when I hear this commotion of falling junk in the bedroom and the dog shooting out of there like a guided missile.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

When I lived in Florida, I had empty, wooded lots on both sides of my property. Orange tree provided occ. snacks. I spent a lot of time in my Florida room and the critters wandered by regularly....possums and racoons would stand up to peek in the window at me :o) Had fox, gopher tortoise, burrowing owls, etc. Also had a motion det. light (until it burned out and I didn't replace the bulb) and if it was dark the sound of possums walking through the grass sounded just like a homan....occ. kind of spooky but kept the door locked :o)

Reply to
Norminn