Shed questions

Page 1 of 2
I just bought a new shed for storage of typical outdoor equipment, holiday decorations, etc. It is made with Duratemp siding on the outside, framed with 2 x 4 inside.
My questions: Does anyone bother with an interior finish?
I made a bed of stone and the shed sits on 4 x 4s so there is a gap on the ends. Cover with screening? I just want to avoid skunks or raccoons taking up residence under it.
This is a pre-fab that is dropped in place. They are built in Amish country in PA and shipped to the local dealer. They set it in place in less than an hour. It looks well built. Far better than the stuff we saw at the big box stores. Framing is 16" OC, plywood and not OSB, pressure treated floor, etc. I got a gambrel roof because it has a loft on the end for more storage space than a typical "A" frame roof. I'm adding additional shelving on the other side and back.

Definitely yes on the screening, and extend it down several inches into the ground/foundation rocks so digging will not allow critters to go under the screening.

I didn't.

Definitely block any potential entrance to the area under the shed - that may even end up including digging up a perimeter and burying enough of whatever screening you use to prevent the critters from digging around surface screening. It's very important to keep them out to begin with. Once they nest, their descendants will be nesting there, too.
Critters recognize what a wonderful home you've built for them and are anxious to move in. Even after I did the chicken-wire treatment an oppossum and family still managed to dig their way into the space under the shed. They found the one area where I couldn't get the screen tacked securely. I had no idea they were living under there until a light snow fell and I saw all these tracks leading to the shed.

Sounds interesting. Who's the dealer?
One important note - if you don't use the shed very often, you can end up with critters living inside it - namely bees, wasps and other social insects. I went into the shed and saw a mud-colored flowerpot that wasn't a flowerpot at all. It was a giant wasp's nest. My neighbor had termites eat up all the cardboard boxes he used for storage.
-- Bobby G.
On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 00:03:57 -0400, "Robert Green"

Bought it from these guys http://skipsonline.com / But there are many other dealers around. What made my choice was the fact that they knew what they were talking about. I visited a couple of other dealers and builders. When I described where it had to go, (had to be turned 90 degrees from transport mode) one told me it could not be done. "You'll have to figure something out". Well, I did, I figured I'd go elsewhere.
Another place brings a KD shed and assembles on site. They did not offer a gambrel roof though and that was a big factor for me.
clipped

My son's mower is the birthing center for local mice, which makes the shed a nice home for cats. Back side a bit rotted out, so most critters are welcome. The groundhog under the shed keeps the weeds cut :o)

Had a groundhog, too. (-:
Last night the possum did his walkaround and the dog got so exited she tried to jump up the window bringing down a fan and a host of other things clattering to the ground. I was in the LR when I hear this commotion of falling junk in the bedroom and the dog shooting out of there like a guided missile.
-- Bobby G.
On 9/30/2012 10:48 AM, Robert Green wrote:

When I lived in Florida, I had empty, wooded lots on both sides of my property. Orange tree provided occ. snacks. I spent a lot of time in my Florida room and the critters wandered by regularly....possums and racoons would stand up to peek in the window at me :o) Had fox, gopher tortoise, burrowing owls, etc. Also had a motion det. light (until it burned out and I didn't replace the bulb) and if it was dark the sound of possums walking through the grass sounded just like a homan....occ. kind of spooky but kept the door locked :o)

If you had no idea they were living under there, then what's the problem? I've had skunks living under my deck for 10 or 15 years. They don't bother me and I don't bother them. I've also got a shed on pier blocks and 4 x 4 stringers. I have no idea whether anyone is living under there, but I have no problem sharing. I did kick the raccoons out of the attic, though.

It was a pre-emptive strike, part of the new diplomacy. They could be refining uranium under there for all I know. (-: There are acres of parkland bordering my lot. Moving in this close to humans probably means they are dependent on humans for food and that's probably not good for them, at least based on some doco I saw about Aussie pelicans that became dependent on human handouts.
I once had my car professionally tossed by a family of raccoons. They tore up the upholstery and emptied the glove compartment, whizzing and leaving raccoon turds here and there. It stank of raccoon whenever it was hot and humid. The last raccoon family in residence tossed the neighborhood garbage cans the night before garbage collection like clockwork. With those prehensile little claws, they can make a monumental mess in a very short time, especially when they work in gangs. And they like to spread things out over a wide area, too.
Now there's a possum that seems to have gotten taken up residence, but it's been years since I did a full inspection of the shed (that's today) so there's likely a hole in the wire. The possum draws the neighbor's illegal pit bull, which he lets run around leashless at 3AM because he knows Animal Control doesn't work those hours. I suspect it's also because the dog's not likely to play with or maul the neighborhood kids at 3AM. He keeps the poor dog cooped up all day to avoid getting the dog confiscated. All that commotion outside makes *my* dog go nuts at 3AM, too. That cuts into my world in a negative way.
I'm all for live and let live, until whatever the critters do affects what I do. I also have a neighbor that has at least three huge bird feeders and buys seed in immense bags. That upset the natural order of things a long, long time ago. Squirrels set off my motion detectors at least 3 times a day. It's only been less lately because I've had 5 big trees removed in the last year. But it's picking up again because they've got access to an almost unlimited food source. I don't mind the visiting birds. Last month I got to watch the local bluejays try to run off a huge hawk that was sitting in the branches. Pretty brazen little birds, those bluejays.
I once had a squirrel locked in my house for a week - he slipped in when I was loading up the car for a week long business trip - the damage from that incident would have been in the $1,000's had I hired someone to do the cleanup. I had to repair half a dozen chewed-on window sills, door sills and other various items it destroyed. I still find "fossilized" squirrel pellets on the tops of bookcases and ductwork. Now I do my best to make sure the local squirrel gene pool consists of squirrels that don't come near houses. I'll be setting up a couple of Hav-a-harts today to catch that possum.
Fortunately we don't have many skunks here, and while I appreciate that they are quite beneficial, I've already had to deal with one skunk-drenched dog and one skunk-drenched car. That's enough for one lifetime. (-:
-- Bobby G.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yes.
Those with ADD.
Also especially those that invite their relatives and neighbors over for social gatherings. It would be unacceptably gauche to submit visitors to an unfinished area.
What would the drop-ins think?
Shudder!

I'd advise against it-- the wood will breath better if left unfinished on the inside.

I'll repeat someone else's thought-- bury the screen [I'd use galvanized hardware cloth] to prevent, er . . discourage diggers. [I'd go a foot-- but my shed is on sand.]
I keep a can of wasp/hornet spray on a shelf right next to the light switch-- was happy to have it there a few times.

My BIL got one a few years ago. Well built, about the same price as the materials to build it- and slid off the truck right where he wanted it.
[This is where he got it in Schenectady, NY http://www.customsheds.com/ ]
Jim

from 2x4's and hardware cloth. I heard the trap door snap shut as I was getting in bed. I went out and checked and there was the coon in the trap. I decided to deal with him in the morning. Bad decision. During the night he literally ripped a big enough hole in the hardware cloth to get out. He left a lot of hair and hide behind doing it though. He never came back. My new trap has hog wire instead of hardware cloth.

I had coon sitting on my deck every night staring into my family room. Creepy!
The town lends Hav-A-Hart traps to residents then picks up the trap and relocates/disposes of the animal. I put the trap in the backyard with some peanut butter in a bowl and caught the critter almost as soon as the sun went town.
The trap was in an area where grass won't grow and is covered in mulch. Under the mulch we had placed landscaping fabric to prevent weeds. I left the trap there overnight, planning to move it to front of the house and call the town in the morning.
When I went out the next morning the trap was surrounded by shreaded landscape fabric, piled almost halfway up the trap. The coon had clawed and "dragged" the fabric in towards the trap from all sides in his attempts to escape. He had dragged over 3 feet of fabric towards the cage on 2 sides. He was not happy and neither was I.
Didn't deal well with captivity, eh?
I don't know what towns do with racoons, but the population is mobile, and will fill voids. You likely can trap one a day, forever.
[...]
On Sep 28, 10:33am, "Stormin Mormon"

We often have racoons (and deer and turkey and fox) in the neighborhood because we live near a wooded area above a bay. They tend to stay near the woods, occasionally venturing into our yards for a snack. It's rare that one shows up every night like the one that kept coming up onto our deck, which is 6 feet off the ground. I've seen racoon in the tree that is right next to the deck fairly often over the years, but this one was just a little too close for comfort. I don't know if it was rabid and therefore acting differently than the other racoons so I set a trap.
Even though I was pretty sure that he was the only one hanging around the yard, I put the trap out the next night also (Animal Control brings the trap back and we have to return it to the town when we're done). Didn't take long for me to trap the nieghbor's cat. I guess she likes peanut butter too! I let her go and didn't catch anything else, so I returned the trap a few days later.
For a roughly 2 week period last fall we had 2 gray fox that would come out the woods just after sunset and nipple on the berries on my neighbor's bush. Every night, like clockwork. I guess they ate their fill because they stopped coming around and we never saw them again.
In article

I don't get that. I love raccoons, and all the critters. I used to get up in the middle of the night and find 6 raccoons in the kitchen, wolfing down cat kibble. I did put a stop to that, but I love looking out the window and seeing them.

I loved looking at the raccoon that was sitting on the picnick table trying to unscrew a bottle with sugar. I laughed when he (or a comrade) tried to run away with something big, so I had to chase him and take it back. I didn't like it when in another campsite, where there had been a bear sighted in the afternoon, my wife woke up from something furry touching her in the middle of the night. My beard wasn't yet big enough to cause it, it was a raccoon, that fled immediately.
--
Best regards
Han

I can't use "camp" and "wife" in the same sentence so that would never happen.
We had a bat in the bedroom one night. She brushed something off her pillow.

This was in 1970. We have gotten less pliable, so tents are definitely out. We tried a rented RV - that was once but not again, most likely.
--
Best regards
Han

if you want no critteres under your shed get a poured concrete floor. its more durabe, will likely outlast the shed, and is the best choice i made my shed is 16 by 20