Shed project: gable framing

On top of my shed goes a simple gable roof. I plan to call around to see about prefab roof trusses, not that I expect anyone to stock them in shed sizes, and I don't expect a custom run of 9+2 units to be cost-effective. I already asked Tuff-Shed; they don't sell components, just sheds. I'll probably just build my own, since I've done that before and had very good results.

My question today, though, is how to extend the roofline to form an overhang beyond the end gable truss. I'm trying to remember how it was done back when I was in construction (I wasn't a framer). I think they used a sort of flying rafter arrangement, basically rake boards nailed to the overhung roof sheathing, then nailed to the ends of the fascia boards at the bottom. Am I remembering wrong? I can't quite visualize how such a thing could carry its roof load without sagging.

Reply to
usenet-659f31de7f953aeb

benick

It's a "gable ladder" or "barge". The gable truss is 3 1/2" shorter than the other trusses so you can install a gable ladder on top. Here's a site with a picture:

The ladder sits on top of the gable truss and is face-nailed to the second (full-height) truss. The rungs run all the way from the second truss to the fascia. Blocking fills the gaps on top of the gable truss.

The picture is a little odd. My gable trusses have a tail.

Reply to
SteveBell

Ah, I see it now...that's very helpful, thank you! I'd found a couple other photos of that (very few, considering) but didn't understand what I was looking at.

Yes, odd, but I can see the reason for it. Looks like it just needs another piece of blocking where the tail would go, secured to the bottom lookout and to the subfascia (with hangers maybe?). I think that would be adequate to carry the weight of that little piece of roof.

Reply to
usenet-659f31de7f953aeb

Since you are stick framing it, you could do it the classic way. The rungs of the "ladders" are called "lookout rafters" and are notched into the gable rafters instead of sitting on top. The rafter on the far end is called the "fly rafter".

Cut a 3 1/2" wide by 1 1/2" deep notch in the gable rafter everywhere you want a lookout, and then place them flat. Face nail them to the second rafter the same is the truss method.

Reply to
DT