shatterproof cfl - can you make?

They sell shatterproof cfl's but not the bulb I want.

Can you make this by dipping them in some coating?

Reply to
oldyork90

Spray the bulb that you want with many many coats of clear varnish.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Varnish won't help and may deteriorate because of the ultraviolet given off by the CFL. The shatterproof incandescent bulbs I've seen were coated with silicone rubber sealer , and should be able to brush clear silicone onto a CFL, but maybe you'll have to thin out the silicone with alcohol. Also Loctite/Permatex sells a thin silicone rubber sealant designed to be very runny so it seeps into gaps around car windshields to seal them. 3M has another product like this, only it's not silicone based. Try contacting Loctite or 3M because they're really good about giving out information.

Reply to
larrymoencurly

If we had more info as to the application, there may be alternate solutions. I don't think LEDs for example are as prone to shattering.

Reply to
trader_4