Sharper Image air cleaners

Page 1 of 2
I just finished watching one of the Sharper Image air cleaner ads on TV. I just thought I would share a few observations.
The claim cleaner, fresher smelling air.
True? Sure it is true.
The air will be cleaner even if they remove only 0.00015% of the pollution in the air. How much cleaner is not stated. They do not even claim that is will be significantly cleaner. Independent test I have seen indicate that it has far too little capacity to make a dent in a normal size room.
Fresher smelling it will be. We all tend to associate that "after the thunder storm" smell with a fresh clean smell. What they don't say is that truly clean air has no smell. What we are smelling is the Oģ (Ozone) just as after a thunder storm.
Now get this. The next thing they talk about is their new catalytic action filter that reduces Ozone (and smog) Ozone is harmful to humans and nearly all life. The part they don't bother talking about is that Oģ is coming from their own air cleaner! That's right they are telling us they are "reducing" the contamination with their new device. OK tell me why I should be happy that I can buy an air cleaner that will produce less pollution in my home than the same air cleaner the sold last year? Why do I want an air cleaner that pollutes the air in my home??? Why don't they tell me how much it lets through??
As PT said .... one is born every minute and Sharper Image is living off them.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
✖
If I remember correctly, Consumer Reports blew the lid off of some of their bunk reguarding the air cleaner... and SI sued them...
Add pictures here
✖
Jack wrote:

Yea, and Consumer Reports won.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
✖
And Sharper Image had to pay Consumer Report's 1/2 Million dollar legal bill!
Stretch
Add pictures here
✖
I've always felt these were way over priced. I might try one at $60 but not at the outragous price they charge. HEPA filters with fans I think do the best job but with the obvious downside of noise and replacement filters.
I friend got one of the SI cleaners to help with mold contamination and it didn't help even a little (she ended up in the hospital with pneumonia)
Keeping good filters in the A/C or heating ducts is also very effective

Add pictures here
✖
What about the UV light that they sell for inside your duct work?
Or what would you guys suggest besides a good filter?
--

---------------------------------------
Brian Dye
Brian wrote:

The UV light is not a filter.
UV lights kill living things. If your problem is caused by things like dust mites or mold that might be in the ducts, it may do some good. However it will not do anything to eliminate dust or allergens that are already there or drawn into the system or are created in other parts of the system.
It all depends on what your problem is.
Sales folk like Sharper Image like to make you thing that they have the cure for every evil know to man.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
✖
Joseph,
I know nothing about the "ozone" controversy. I feel that many folks believe that air is a mixture of gasses with a known composition but this is not true. Air is that stuff we breath. Air contains gas, dirt, pet dander, pollen, virii, bacteria, et c. The composition of air varies depending on many factors. You can have air where most of the particles of a certain size have been removed. But this does not make the air purer. There isn't pure air. This purity thing is a marketing tool.
Dave M.
Add pictures here
✖
David Martel wrote:

To the contrary, the mixture of gases in air is pretty well fixed. What else is suspended in the air isn't air, they are various contaiminants. That they are present in various amounts and in various concentrations is certainly indubitable. That no filtering system is perfect is also true. But to say removing contaminants doesn't improve air purity isn't correct, either.
Add pictures here
✖
Duane,
Are you starting with a definition of air and then insisting that everything else are contaminants? Air is a mixture of all sorts of stuff. The composition of air varies. You can strain out particles but I don't see that you 've made the air purer, you've just changed the mix.
Dave M.
Add pictures here
✖
David Martel wrote:

Yep..."air" is the mixutre of gases, the particulate crap ain't...

Yes, N, and O, w/ small amounts of others. I don't have my Handbook of Chemistry and Physics at hand for precise numbers, but you got the idea above...
Comes from being a ChE minor, I suppose... :)
Add pictures here
✖
According to www.dictionary.com:
1. A colorless, odorless, tasteless, gaseous mixture, mainly nitrogen (approximately 78 percent) and oxygen (approximately 21 percent) with lesser amounts of argon, carbon dioxide, hydrogen, neon, helium, and other gases. 2. This mixture with varying amounts of moisture and particulate matter, enveloping the earth; the atmosphere.
So it does appear that, from definition 2, David M is correct. However, according to definition 1, Duane is correct.
So you are both correct! Peace!
Add pictures here
✖
Which leads us to a new question...
Why is there air?

Add pictures here
✖
MrC1 wrote:

It originally was created to give politicians something to make hot.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
✖
Actually I was thinking about an old Bill Cosby line, but that works too.
Cosby's answer? To blow up volleyballs and basketballs.

Add pictures here
✖
MrC1 wrote:

I remember that one.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
✖

LOL
You beat me to it!!!
First album I ever owned ("Why Is There Air?"). Picture of Cosby holding a vollyball on the cover:
http://tinyurl.com/86xp7
Add pictures here
✖
David Martel wrote:

I also liked their line about it changing Oģ and "smog" into pure oxygen. Oģ is pure oxygen. Who knows what smog is.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
✖
oxygen is the element name. It is also the allotropic name for O2, whereas ozone is the allotropic name for O3. So it is correct to convert ozone into oxygen, one one sense of the word.
Add pictures here
✖
SI sued CR and CR won based on the real data found. CR determined that the SI unit did almost ZERO to filter the air. They also found that it actually CREATED ozone and possibly so much so that it could become unhealthy in your house after a period of time. This may explain why SI decided to add that little extra "feature" claiming to remove ozone.
What a joke!

Add pictures here
✖