Sharp Mod. R-9330 Microwave Possible Cosmetic Damage

We have an ancient microwave oven that is still functional but the plastic liner on the inside of the door around the window shattered the other day when my wife opened the door. I've looked this over and I suspect that this piece of plastic is absolutely cosmetic but I cannot seem to confirm this. Given that the beastie was built in 1987 I'm not surprised that I'm having difficulties finding answers. Can anyone help?
Dean Clous wrote:

Hi. Wow! it is older than I, LOL! Time for a new unit. If concerned check with MW leak tester.

My Sharp Carousel was built in 1983. A plastic trim piece covering the hinge has broken, but otherwise the microwave is still cooking after thirty years of daily use. While it is only 600 watts, it is virtually impossible to burn popcorn with it :-)
Second the leak checker.

Does the liner go to the perimeter ? It's the outside perimeter, about 1.5 inches that is a quarter wavelength preventing leakage. I've heard of conductive plastic. Got an ohmmeter ?
Greg
replying to gregz , Dean Clous wrote:

It does go all the way to the outer edge of the door. Seems to be a moot point, however. The wife has decided she's uncomfortable with trying to repair (or ignore if it's safe to do so). Appreciate the answers but I guess we're in the market for a new microwave. Thanks.
replying to Dean Clous, Nathan Woodruff wrote:

point,
the
I have the exact same microwave and the same plastic piece busted just before Christmas 2015. Since it is plastic and would in no way shield microwaves, I ignored it.
But today, Feb 25 2016, the transformer started to hum and then blew the fuse. Several years ago, maybe 10, a roach crawled up in the microwave and decided to crawl on the leads to the transformer. I opened it up and there was two halves of a roach across the power leads. I replaced the fuse and it worked like a champ.
But the hum from the transformer now means that it has become too hot and the internals have melted. A new transformer is more than the cost of a new microwave.
It had been a great microwave since 1987.
On Thursday, February 25, 2016 at 7:44:05 PM UTC-6, Nathan Woodruff wrote:

ot

e in

...should we play taps...or the violin? ヽ(´ー` )ノ