Sharp microwave complaint

Just venting again! Earlier this week I was complaining about parts availability for my LG washer. That ended up OK - hose replaced, leak cured.

What would posess a microwave manufacturer to use itty-bitty little buttons on their control panel?

Back around May, bought a Sharp over-the-range microwave from Best Buy. It was a closeout, smokin' deal, about $100. At the time, I wasn't even seeing no-name over-the-range microwaves for that price.

This is one of those models where most of the controls are hidden behind the flap of the door when it is closed. Nice, uncluttered look with the door closed. The only buttons that are exposed when the door is closed are: start, stop/clear, fan, and light. Those are the aforementioned itty-bitty buttons, about the size of a jellybean, if not a little smaller. When I was looking at it in the store, I thought they looked kind of delicate, but the bargain price won me over. I guess there was a reason why Best Buy was closing them out.

3 months later, and the Start button, the one that gets used the most, takes about 15 to 20 pushes to work. Guess my initial impression about the durability of those itty-bitty switches was right.

Had a guy out fixing the washing machine yesterday, asked him about the microwave. First thing he said was that his shop stopped doing warranty work for Sharp a while back, problems getting paid slowly if at all. Second thing he said was that yeah, they replace a LOT of those itty-bitty buttons, they just don't last. Bad design choice, I guess.

That said, I did manage to find a shop that will do Sharp warranty work. They're coming Monday to replace the button panel. Hmmm, 3 months for one set of buttons - maybe I can get 1 or 2 more replacements before the warranty expires.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

I have the same type of microwave, but the regular countertop version. Those buttons are just extensions really, they just push on the membrane keypad behind them. I haven't have any problems with them, but if I did, they are very easy to replace or repair.

Reply to
Pete C.

Proves my philosophy again for the millionth time:

If you by something inferior because of the price, it hurts every time you use it.

If you buy quality, it hurts only once - when you pay for it.

Bob-tx

Reply to
Bob

That may be so, but as long as it's under warranty, might as well let the pro do it - while standing behind him looking over his shoulder watching. The guy at the repair shop that I talked to said that it's a plug-in assembly with the 4 buttons on a separate panel. We'll see when they open it up.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

The old adage "it's the stingy man who pays the most".

Actually, I go by: be skeptical, critical and careful, when you shop these days. Regardless of price. You can get shafted, no matter how much you spend.

Don't buy cheap, buy practical sturdy goods. I've seen small $15 heaters with membrane controls and a remote. Anyone that buys such a product, deserves what he gets.

RichK

Reply to
RichK

I have a Sharp that gets a ton of use, and it's running well several years later.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

- I have a Sharp that gets a ton of use, and it's running well several

- years later.

-

- Cheri

Does it have the button-extensions that the OP stated are the problem?

You're not comparing apples-to-apples if they are different models with different key pad construction.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Definitely truth in that. Some things don't sell for reasons that wouldn't bother me, but some things don't sell for the same reasons I wouldn't want them.

These switches I'm sure are bad, but there are lots of quality switches that are itty-bitty. Even when the knob is big, the switch is often little.

Keep the old panel and you may be able to refurbish it yourself. spray cleaner maybe.

Or maybe it has switches within it that you'll be able to buy.

Rub with denim pants maybe -- well that takes scratches out of plastic. I don't know about conductivity.

I have a very nice GE clock radio AM FM 6-station memory, two alarms and each one either to the radio, the buzzer, or both in sequnece, tone control, snooze, that I bought in 1972. The first 10 or 20 years it worked fine, but after that the button switches didn't work so well. Some I could get along without. If I wanted to set the clock for 4:17 and the 7 would not work, I could wait until 4:18.

Eventually I took the thing apart and cleaned the metal contacts directly. Lasted a year or two. Gets dirty progressivly more quickly it seems.

Got another one at the Goodwill. Same problem. It would give me a spare control board, but there are so many wires soldered that it's easier to clean without detaching.

My Chrysler radio from 1984 also gave me problems with the buttons, when they were about 11 years old. Called Chrysler in Baltimore and they gave me the name of the place that did their repairs, Caton Radio. Bought new switches, only a dollar a piece iiirc, and no deseoldering necessary because after it was disassemble, you only had to pull the top of the switch out of it's little box, and put a new one back in, with new rubber diaphragm that gave the push back.

My next car was a 1988 Chryselfr but it had a crummy after market radio so I put the 84 radio in it, and after a few years needed swtiches again. Went to the same radio store and they said they were out of them and would call me. Weeeks went by, I called them. Still out of them, Called every couple weeks or months for months.

Finally I'm vacationing in Brooklyn NY and go to a Chrsler dealer and ask them who does their radios and get a place on 86th St and go over there and he has them in stock for a dollar apiece. I bought a double order.

I think I'm using the same radio in my 95 chryself. It also came witha cheap after market radio. This time, or last time, the dash was black instead of silver, so I painted the radio, minus the buttons, with the window masked. Looks nice.

I may have to shop at Caton Radio again, but I will be wary.

Reply to
mm

problem?

No, and true.