Shapes out of plaster?

Hi,
I had recently asked a question about what tread brackets might be made out of and someone recommended plaster.
Does plaster come in a sheet that you can cut or is it a paste that you can shape?
Thanks!
Aaron Fude

It's generally bought as a powder that you mix with water. Your idea sounds interesting, but working with plaster can be quite a challenge. Plan on lots of practice, lots of bourbon, and throwing failed experiments across the room.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

It's a powder to which you add water, pour into a mold and let harden. You then take it out of the mold.
It also comes in sheets (drywall) but I doubt you want that. OTOH, maybe so as I have no idea what a tread bracket is.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Decorative things for the exposed sides of stairs: http://www.invitinghome.com/Stair_Brackets/Stair_Brackets_HannahFin.htm

Ours are made from wood, fwiw. (although they are not near as fancy as those are!)
--
May no harm befall you,
flip

It's generally bought as a powder that you mix with water. Your idea sounds interesting, but working with plaster can be quite a challenge. Plan on lots of practice, lots of bourbon, and throwing failed experiments across the room.
On 9 Oct 2006 10:27:21 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You'd cast it in a mold, for that application. Either with screw holes already in place or (more likely) glued on.
Apparently modern practice is to add fiberglass for durability. Seems to me that they used to use horsehair, so I'm guessing any fiber you've got available should work. Paint a layer of pure plaster on the inside of each casting first, and then stuff the fiberous stuff in, or you'll end up with little fibers sticking out. (Which, come to think of it, might be fun if you've got any optical fiber laying around.)
http://www.archicast.com /
--Goedjn
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

gauze type of fabric, impregnated with plaster, is used for casts for broken bones. Dip in water, wring out, apply. Something similar is available at craft stores, and there is a plastic version too, I believe. The fabric type could not surround and object, as it would be destroyed in taking the object out, but for one side or an open form, should work. There is a rubber type stuff used for casting objects, as well.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

likely more durable than plaster:
http://www.texasart.com/store/browse/003/cat_id/671/Craft-Supplies-Papier-Mache-Mold-Making.htm