shallow well pump sounds like its on but not popping up heads

The pump sounds like it is running. My dad took the pump in and had it checked out and nothing was wrong with it. We ran new pipe with a new check valve on top of the other one. We did a bucket test to see if the pump was popping heads up and it did. What do we need to check now? Does this mean it is something going on in the well. Please help. Wanted to try to repair myself for cost reasons and the knowledge of how it works. Any info would be helpful. Thanks Teresa
tadcad2 wrote:

Don't follow the description of what you're saying very well, but if the pump is shown to be operational out of the well but not in it, then there's either a blockage to the input or there's no water...

How deep is the well?