Shallow Well Pump Problems???

I can't get a pump to prime. It is a 1/2 horsepower (Wayne) Sallow Well Pump. I hvae it mounted on a small tank that has a bladder inside. There is water in the well . . . about 5' below surface. The check valve is ok. I even hooked a garden hose to the spigot to make sure it got enough water. Still no dice! The tank has about 15 pounds air pressure. What am I doing wrong.

I await your expert input.

Thanks, Tom

Reply to
Thomas Minter

Generally the suction line from the pump to the well has to be full of water before the pump will draw water. There are some pumps, I guess, which will eventually clear the air in the line but most will not. If the suction line is full of water, however, the pump should start to draw. I assume that the check valve is at the end of the line, down in the well; is it? It may take some patience to get the line full. Do you have a tee at the pump so you can pour water into the line? You would pour water into the tee and wait for it to go down, then pour more etc. The line probably does not have to be completely full but it has to have enough water so that when you pull it into the pump the water in the well follows in sufficient quantity to maintain the suction.

Reply to
donald girod