"shallow" utility sink?

In the house Wife and I just bought, the previous owners configured the laundry/heater room in such a strange way that the hookups for a sink/utility tub are behind the door to the room. What this means is there's only about 18" front to back depth in which to put a utility sink/tub.
Anyone know of such a thing? A search of the usual home supply suspects (big box stores, Northeast Plumbing Supply, etc.) turns up nothing.
Or am I out of luck? 'Cause I really hate having to rinse out paint brushes and the like in the kitchen sink or the downstairs bathroom...

How about moving the pipes to a better location?

I'm not at home right now but I believe my porcelain over cast iron laundry sink (ca 1930) is about that size. The faucet is a wall mount & thus the space required for a sink deck mount is saved.
You might be able to get a surplus one on Craigslist
This one might do the trick but I find the "specs" somewhat contradictory....width is give by two different numbers
http://www.improvementdirect.com/index.cfm/page/product:display/productid/dit-s/manufacturer/swanstone/finish/white&source=gba_294883?CAWELAID=99584853
Since the sink is fiberglass reinforced plastic, you could cut off the back edge where the faucet mounts if necessary & go with a wall mount faucet.
cheers Bob

If you could change the swing of the door, that would probably be the easiest thing to do...assuming that there is clearance.

Expensive like every other boat fixture, but marine sinks are pretty small. Do a google search for the same brand name and maybe you can find them cheaper. West Marine is not known for bargains.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/299585/377%20710%201529%204294964053/69/Sinks,%20Faucets%20/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N77%20710%201529%204294964053&Nei&Ntt=Sinks,%20Faucets%20&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&page tegoryDisplayLevel1&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum&subdeptNum'&classNum)8
http://preview.tinyurl.com/pcm9u2
Kyle wrote:

Do you have room for a real sink, past the end of the opened door? If so, I'd just build some shallow shelves, and hide extensions to the plumbing inside them, and put the sink over a couple of 3 feet. Or like the other guy said, move the existing pipes (assuming you have access to to do that.)
Failing that, look for 'bar sink' or 'prep sink'. They make those in stainless, for narrow counters. Faucet is usually on one end, rather than the back edge. You'd have to knock together something presentable to hold it, but that shouldn't be too hard.
A picture of the room would help us make better suggestions.
-- aem sends....
The bar sink is exactly what we went with in our laundry room. It is a trade off since it is small, but it gives us the sink we needed without taking up the counter space we also wanted. In our case we still have the old laundry area in the basement with a large double bowl 'stationary tub' (I assume they call them this since they weigh a ton so they stay pretty much stationary!) It handles the really messing stuff we might need and if there is something that needs a cleaner environment and more space, the good old bathtub handles the task!
You might also check out some of the options for bathroom vanities. There are some fairly large sinks available these days that might fit and be bigger than the bar sink option.

install a slop sink in garage...... a single bowl washtub.
end of problem for dirty jobs
bob haller wrote:

Good idea, if you live where garage never freezes. Around here it would require an enclosure, even in an attached garage. (Think 'janitor closet', extending within heated envelope of house, but still maintaining firebreaks and such.) Of course, if cost is no object, may as well put a toilet and shower stall out there while you are at it. That has been on the spec sheet for my 'when I win the Lotto' dream house, all along.
-- aem sends...

And running supply, waste and vent lines.

Dude, when you win Lotto, you'll have people cleaning up after you and you won't care how damn inconvenient it is, and you'll have a cottage with a view built just for your throne. ;)

Thanks to JoeSpareBedroom and a few others, I realize I was not clear in my explanation of my need. For one thing, "shallow" refers to the front-to-back dimension of the sink, not depth of the sink bowl. There isn't really anywhere to move the existing hookups, which are on a wet wall shared with a bathroom. For one thing, the only real available walls are block - this is the lower level of a bi-level and the wall are block up to about 4' and then drywall over stud (and outside walls to boot).
For those asking for layout to offer moving options, I have created a rough, not-to-scale sketch (thanks to MS Paint) which I've posted at http://yfrog.com/11laundryroomp
As you can see in the sketch, we're constrained by the HVAC and water heater that can't be moved, and the doors that have to be dealt with - both the two doors into the room (garage on left, family room on right) and the doors to the washer, dryer, and upright freezer.
The hook-ups behind the one door are already there, so if there's a sink that would fit, that would be the least-difficult option. While not perfect, it would be better (I hope) than nothing.
Thanks for all help and suggestions!

what did you decide? btw I finally got around to measuring that 1930's cast iron sink..... 18 1/16" inches wall to front edge, so an old one with wall mount faucet would but might not be the look you want
cheers Bob

A stand alone 'laundry tub' on it's own legs might be just about the right depth (18 inches or so) to fit behind door? Mount the taps above sink on or in the wall, extra height of taps above the sink is a help if needing to fill buckets/pails etc. If there is too much splashing with taps mounted higher a short length of hose can be attached which will hang down and drip into sink when not in use. A flexible spout such as that is also useful for washing soil off root crop from the garden etc. I have an old laundry tub somewhere but have seen them new for less than $100 complete. Some are fiberglass/plastic others are enamelled. Not seen a stainless one; probably too expensive and unecessary! Also BTW the taps if necessary could be mounted at the side not behind the sink? It's all going to be behind door anyway!

I guess you can't squeeze in this one in? My wife hates those crappy looking stand-alone white plastic types and the"one" drop in type that HD /Lowes sells look sort of crappy too. Also, this one actually cost less that the HD one
http://www.theswancorp.com/index.php?prod &2