Shaky Washer

My washing machine - a Maytag - has been shaking really hard lately when doing clothes. I know this means its unbalanced in some way. Is this something I can fix myself, and, if yes, how so?
Thanks,
Scott
Hi, Make sure it is level. Tony
Scott Boerhave wrote:

... and that the weight is distributed evenly over all four feet.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
The best way to level the machine is when it is empty and on the spin cycle. The front two feet are adjustable bolts. While it is spinning, gently lift either corner with a large screwdriver or small crowbar until it smooths out, then screw the feet in or out to make the adjustment permanent. You have to distribute the clothes evenly, also.
--
Rick
"Scott Boerhave" < snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
It is also possible that a spring or other part is broken.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Hi,
No mention on what type of a floor the washer is on or if the washer has ever worked ok in the current location. *Some* Maytag washers have an off-balance switch that will shut down the washer when an uneven load is happening and this may be out of alignment or damaged. http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html Model# helps. Level the washer as close to the floor as possible, if the legs are out too far the washer will be come wobbly. Open the lid, adjust the basket straight and level the washer so the water level is even on the inner basket holes.
jeff.