Shading exterior AC unit

The outside portion of my A/C system is exposed to the afternoon sun in Texas - would it make any sense to put up some kind of lattice work (or anything else that'd work well) to shade the unit from the direct sun - without restricting the air flow in any way. I'm looking for an immediate fix - hedge plants would take a few years . . .
Thanks!