Shade cover for existing deck

Had a 12 X 20 deck addition built last summer. I failed to have it covered and the sun makes it all but unusable this time of year. The addition is attached to the original 8 X 20 deck with a double 2 X 10 girder and then has 4 x 4 posts every 4 - 5 feet around the deck. Post holes were dug down approximately 2 feet, a solid concrete block placed on the bottom, then concrete was poured around the posts. They extend up thru the deck to approximately 28 inches. Railing is attached to the deck posts. Lot is very sloping, so the deck is ground level on one corner to a height of 4 foot on the opposite corner. A 5 foot set of stairs leads down from this highest corner to the yard.
My ideas on "extending" these posts to 8 foot to hold a shade cover. I plan to cut out a 4X4 notch in the deck by the highest corner post and then run a 4x4 beside it all the way down to the concrete footing. A non-structural 4X4 will be placed on top of the existing post, giving the appearance of a 4 X 8 post. At the other 5 posts locations (4 corners, 2 middle posts on the 20 foot length), I had not planned on extending thru to the footing, but rather place on the deck and lag bolt to existing "short" 4X4 post. The "cover" will be made of "king post" trusses, made of 2 X 6 treated lumber set 24 inches on center, finally vinyl lattice will be sandwiched in a 2 x 2 frame and attached to the trusses. Plan on using hurricane clips or simpson connectors at all major connections.
City building department inspected the deck last summer but inspector told me no new permit would be required as long as the cover was for shade, not solid.
I am only looking at about $500 worth of material at my local discount building supply, but first contractor's estimate came in at $4500. Not sure if I failed to explain it, he is really overbuilding it or he's afraid of the job.
Appreciate any feedback on potential pitfalls.

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB8&Number $37039&Forum=,,,All_Forums,,,&Words=&Searchpage=2&Limit%&Main$37039&Search=true&where=&Name7385&daterange=&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post2437039 sorry for the long URL This will get you to the same place http://tinyurl.com/lbqxf
That cost $1500 labor, $3700 materials plus the canopies cost.
Great pergola, I will not be attaching mine to the house, so post connections are a concern.
.