shade causing wood rot?

Page 2 of 2
grodenhiATgmailDOTcom wrote:

Air circulation also matters, but maintenance is his issue. Packing rotten wood with putty just keeps the rot enclosed (for a while).
shade can accelerate a rot problem in old wooden sills. However, if the sills are properly maintained (and properly repaired when needed) the shade won't make any significant difference. As many folks have already stated: a hack fix-it job will hide the rot for a while, but unless he's done (or paid someone to do ) a proper repair job, NOTHING will stop the rot.
from the sounds of it, he's just a cranky guy looking for something to piss about (anyone who complains about woodstove smoke blowing across his property is a nutcase). I'd make happy noises at him whenever he bitches. If he really bitches a lot, you might get a couple of estimates to have the tree removed (don't forget the landscaping to repair the hole it will leave), and mention that you might consider doing it if he foots the bill. Explain that you really llike the tree, but if it would really make that much difference to him, you'd be willing to sacrifice the tree on his nickel. around here, having a largish tree removed from a residential lot, then having a decent lawn repair done will run in the 3-4 kilo buck range (especially if you use one of the high-end contractors). I bet that will get him off the topic really fast......
--JD
Gee - the requirement that Sun strike all wet wood surfaces to prevent rot doesn't seem to hold water (so to speak!) on the NORTH side of a house! (At least in the northern hemisphere - south side if you are south of the equator!). My north facing windows and door never get any direct sun and have no rot as far as I've ever seen...

Mark wrote:

If you are on the equator, and have wide eaves you are really in trouble :o)