Sewer smell from washing machine overflow

Can anyone tell me the possible reasons for an awful (sewer) smell coming from the overflow pipe for my washing machine? Had the septic tank pumped 2 years ago. IS this a line that could get plugged and something I could/should snake out? Any insghts are appreciated.

Reply to
wtf

Where is the overflow pipe? Are there any other plumbing problems/symptoms? Is there an empty trap that is allowing gas to enter your home?

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Do you have a p-trap on the washer's drain line? If so, is water always in it or does it go so long between uses that the water evaporates & lets sewer gases back in?

Reply to
Bob M.

Reply to
buffalobill