Sewer Repair - Opinions?

I need to get my sewer line repaired and I'd be interested in any opinions. In a very odd way it has been fascinating to see different companies' diagnoses and recommendations. I never thought I'd say a sewer repair could be fascinating.

I have two problems:

  1. Crack in the line about 6' from basement wall. (The main line exits the house through the basement wall - about 4' above the slab.) We had water coming back into the basement in the small gap between the sewer line and the putty that sealed the hole in the basement wall. This crack is located under a wooden-decked wrap-around porch.
  2. 10' section of pipe that has a belly in it. This section is completely under water. This section is located approximately 20' down the line from the basement.

Plumber #1: Suggests a trenchless line bursting - replace all 80'. $10K. I've eliminated this solution because I understand this won't fix bellying like what I have and the majority of the 80' line is OK. Plumber #2: Suggests conventional repairs for both problems - dig them up and fix. They haven't generated numbers yet, but it's a local company that is considered good but quite expensive. The fixing of the crack would likely involve removing porch planks and bringing in a backhoe. Very painful. Plumber #3: Suggests a conventional replacement of the 10' belly. Dig it up and replace the section ensuring proper sloping. Additionally, since this will open up the pipe, do a pipe relining upstream (toward the house) to go sufficiently past the crack. It's the Maxliner system. Its a flexible fiberglass tube that is soaked in resin and cured in place. This enables fixing the crack without digging it up. And since it's under the porch this is a big benefit. They're quoting $4,600.

Anyone have any experience with relining? It certainly seems like an attractive way to go.

Thanks.

Jim

Reply to
jim.haselmaier

I woul;d do the reline & fix belly low area. relining although new works very well.

have any motivated exercise friends to do the digging if the line isnt real deep?

Reply to
hallerb

Don't commit to relining until the company gives you some references to their successful jobs that you can verify. Check out the oldest ones first to assess durability. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe